IGNORED

Playing tracks with different sample rates

This is probably a naive question but I won't learn if I don't ask. Apologies for the long winded post but I want to get the details right. I have virtually all of my music in digital format (FLAC) stored on a Synology DS1511 NAS that I access with my laptop running Windows 7. I use MediaMonkey as my music management software although I have recently been exploring J River as well.

Until recently almost all of my music is encoded at 16/44 but having recently upgraded a lot of my stereo equipment I became interested in exploring music encoded at higher bit depths and sample rates. To that end I have downloaded a couple of albums from Linn's web site, one encoded in 24/96, the other in 24/192. My laptop is connected to a Bryston BDA-1 DAC through one of two interfaces, an S/PDIF cable directly from an output jack on the laptop and the other is an M-Audio Profire 610 firewire device which in turn connects to the DAC through an S/PDIF cable. All of my equipment supports digital audio up to 24/192.

My problem is that when I play music I usually do so through playlists that are randomly generated using various criteria that I set. Until now I've never considered sample rates in that criteria but I'm finding that no matter which digital interface I use from the laptop I have to manually set the sample rate for that device which means that if a playlist has some tracks encoded at 96K or 192K they will not get recognized if the sample rate is set to 44K. This seems odd to me given that all the equipment supports all of the sample rates up to 24/192. Is there any way to have the sample rates recognized dynamically by the interface and passed through to the DAC? The way it is now I would have to manually change the sample rates on the computer's digital interface whenever I wanted to play tracks with higher levels of encoding. Perhaps there are digital interfaces available that dynamically adjust to various sample rates. I would welcome any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Have you looked at the instructions/guidance Chris wrote regarding setting up J.River with Windows 7?

There are here -- http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Windows-7-Audio-J-River-Media-Center-14-Configuration

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.