IGNORED

m2tech young overkill for A5s?

Wasn't sure which place to post this, but since it's really the DAC I'm unsure of I thought I'd put it here. I've been reading for awhile, and can tell my budget is definitely limited for right now, I want a system I can build up on a bit later (as many others seem to want as well), and generally have read nothing but positive comments about the A5s. So I settled on the A5s, but really like the m2tech Young for my DAC since I would also want to use it later on for a separate system. Is this overkill for a desktop bedroom system? Should I stay cheap on the DAC now and then when the system grows upgrade it?

Right now I realize just about anything is an upgrade - I might as well admit my system for the last 10 years has been macbook/powerbook to Klipsch 2.1 setup which has served me well, but finally blew. RIP. I made the mistake of walking into Absolute Sound in Winter Park, FL and was given a tour of this room I swear god himself lives in... it was all Mcintosh... the song was AC/DC Hells Bells... and while I couldn't and probably won't be able to ever afford it the experience left me wanting more after an aurgasm like that. So here I am. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the A7x speakers with a W4S DAC-2 in my (home) office, and couldn't be happier. I love the sound, and the volume control on the DAC makes it easier than adjusting volumes on the speakers individually. I have balanced speaker cables, so the Adams volume control from one speaker to the other wouldn't work.

I don't think the Young M2tech has a volume control?

Here was my thinking in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Wyred-4-Sound-Dac2-vs-Calyx-24192-dac-Active-speakers

..Mike

Mike

In my secondary system, I'm using a pair of Audio Engine A5n (the laminated bamboo cabinet version- very stiff and neutral acoustically for the cabinet), and as this is a simple system for the bedroom, I use a DAC with volume control and no preamp and at this time with the A5N no power amp. Sources are an iPad 1 in a Cambridge audio ID100 which extracts SPDIF and AES/EBU, and a Tascam professional CD transport with AES/EBU output. DAC is a Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC, using it's remote volume function, with a Antelope DA still in the system for isolation/buffering. I expect to replace that with a DCD-8 in this system soon.

Even these small speakers clearly reveal the differences in articulation and imaging depth between the BADA and typical sub 1K DACs, so the old Adage about the source components being very important is certainly true. That doesn't mean it's going to fit everyone's budget and plans; and also keep in mind, I have my own speaker design planned for this room, if I can ever get the time off I need to finish building them, which will take things a considerable step beyond the A5N.

My time with the A5N's makes me comfortable recommending them for anyone looking for a really compact speaker with a twist, with adequate power electronics and support for iDevices built in (USB power, dual input connections- I also have a Blu-Ray player audio plugged into these).

The rule of thumb is that you put most of your budget into speakers but that doesn't matter here since you plan on upgrading your system later. I started out with the A-5s as well and I've been spending money ever since so congratulations . . . . The A-5s are really versatile and will work well as a 2d room set-up. You might also want a less expensive dac that you could pair more or less permanently with the A-5s. The squeezebox touch sounds really, really good paired with the A-5s. Some dacs and speakers are just made to go together. The Touch will make it easy for you to play all your music, internet radio, function as an alarm if you put it in your bedroom, and give you volume (as well as music) control with a remote.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)