IGNORED

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

Mike,

If you want to use Hi Resolution audio files you will need a separate USB to S/PDIF converter since the MF M1 DAC only goes to 48KHz on the USB input. That's one of the reasons I'm still looking, I'd like to avoid multiple boxes. The Halide Bridge solves the problem nicely, but it costs almost as much as the M1 DAC...

Ray

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

Ray - I found that out (the hard way) late last night after ordering the M1! Anyway, I ended up going with the April Music Stello U3/USB Link to solve that problem. My only question now is do I use RCA (preferred due to limits of my Preamp) or XLR on my Onkyo 5508 preamp? I likely will try both - but unless I hear a substantial difference - will end up going with RCA out of the M1.

You could also consider the HiFace. I did, but felt the Stello U3 had better parts.

Mike

Three months ago I mail-ordered MF M1 DAC (my first DAC) and hooked to my MacMini's Toslink connection with satisfactory results. Recently I added MF's V-link and can't really say the results were night/day but pleasing nonetheless. I use M1's RCA analog outs to Onkyo 885 Pre-Pro (which was retired from service in my HT and now used as a switcher between DAC, SACD player and CD Jukeboxes) whichs feeds my 225-wat stereo amp that drives a pair of Paradigm Studio 60s (lovely sound). I use Audirvana to play mostly ripped DVD-As/downloads @ 96/24 (or 88/24). I very much enjoy the results especially vs 44.1/16 but confess to having no experience with other DACs, as there are few people (and no dealers) in Central PA who even know what a DAC does. (BTW, I use M1's XLR outs to feed an old headphone amp when wife complains!)

MacMini (late 2010 w/ 4 gb @ 10.9.5) dedicated to digital music (hi-res @24/96 FLAC & lossless @16/44.1) via Audirvana+ 1.5.12 * thru AQ Carbon USB to MF V-Link 192 to MF M1 DAC via Mogami Gold AES (XLR) * out to Sennheiser HD800 driven by Burson Audio HA-160 OR (when wife not home!) out to Paradigm Studio 60s driven by Golden Tree Audio SE-40 tube stereo amp * MacBook (lossey @iPod/iPad/iPhone/AppleTV + general computing) * MacBook Pro (late 2011) @ripping/tagging DVD-Audio + Blu ray Audio & for travel via Fiio E-17 * iPhone5 64gb w/ FLAC player