IGNORED

JRMC 16 any takers?

I am currently running JRMC version 14. Its slightly better than iTunes on PC, but I'm not blow away with it. I'm wondering if that's because I don't know enough to harness all that's available. I have the WASAPI output enabled, and its set to output everything at 24 bit 96kHz. Other than that, I don't have any special set-ups. One thing that is constantly annoying to me is that it really doesn't do a very good job at ripping or burning CD's. This is one of the primary functions of a media center and J. River is slow and unreliable on my machine. I have 2 optical drives installed on my computer and I use Lightscribe frequently to label CD's. This program is by no means fast; it takes about 25 minutes to burn a lable on the highest resolution setting. If I try to do anything with J River while a label is burning, it freezes up. It will play music with Lightscribe running, but if I try to rip or burn a CD, it freezes.

I just got an e-mail extolling the virtues of version 16, and it seems that most of the improvements are with video playback. I did copy the following quote about enhanced audio performance: "MC16 has bit perfect playback. Now with improved support for power

amplifiers, bi-amping, subwoofer calibration, and more. MC's new audio

engine is 64-bit floating point, providing four billion times more

precision than the previous 32-bit engine. Improved quality MP3 decoder

(for times when you don't have a FLAC or APE). Native support for Apple

Lossless (ALAC)."

I'm not sure what a "64 bit floating point audio engine" is or does, but I know my computer is a 64 bit machine, so I might be able to benefit from it. I also got a quote from a post from blane78 which says "This next tweak to me is THE most important and never really spoken about on forums I've noticed - Increase the WASAPI audio buffer in J River to 1.99 seconds!!.

blane78"

I was wondering if this is an option on JRMC14, or exclusive to the newer version? He goes on to say not to ask why this improves the sound, so I won't ask. If it does improve the sound, though, I'd like to implement it.

I'd suggest you go for 15 if you can find it; as far as I know most of the upgrades moving from 15 to 16 are for video.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=60113.0

Have a look at the discussion on the link above it help me understand what all that 64-bit thing is about. I use the JRiver volume control into my Weiss DAC2 and can't hear any degradation of the sound compared to using the DAC2's own volume control - it is more convenient to control the volume within JRIver.

Hope this is helpful

Yes, I read that link, and you're right; its very interesting and informative. The problem is that 64 bit floating point volume control was present on version 15, and I don't use Media Center's volume control. My computer has only a 1/8" stereo output for analog. I prefer to let the components do the volume control (digital USB output to Bel Canto USB Link 2496 > 50' of Silver Sonic coax. > Bel Canto DAC3). I went ahead and bought the upgrade to version 16, and I don't see any real advantage to it. Sure, it will play Blurays, but I've got 2 optical drives, a dedicated player, and 4 different programs that will do that. The only thing I notice is that there is an Event Style WASAPI output now. I don't know what it does, and I read another post on here that said it didn't sound very good. Maybe, I'll try it out and see for myself. I would like to think that I'm getting something for my $26.95 other than a cheaper upgrade path for the next version.

My relationship with JRMC is a bit like the guy you see out on the interstate driving a supercharged V-8 sportscar in the far right lane at a steady 55 Mph.. In other words, I don't use the vast majority of it's features. I got it on trial and could not get my iTunes Library to transfer successfully. J River had the advantage of a WASAPI output, so I decided to get rid of iTunes (on PC). As I got further along in the process of reloading my collection a disc at a time, it soon came time to s!@# or get off the pot. I got a buy it or lose it notice and decided to buy. I organized each album into a playlist and use the "Tree" for all my navigation. Most of the album covers are wrong and a good portion of my Library is live Greatful Dead shows that don't even have covers. For that reason, I don't even like to look at the cover flow. Occasionally, I'll put it on "Radio play" which is like a "shuffle" for your entire Library. I find that it has a preference for certain albums and songs: Rusted Root and Johnny Cash always come up. I know you can write rules and so fourth, but I don't understand much of that. J River burns and rips very slowly, and it would not burn a DVD in it's standard format. I have to use 3 different programs to do this. I saw that version 16 has a "CD Labeler", but I don't know how that works. I use Lightscribe for labeling anyway. Probably the most frustrating thing about J River is I can't get it to play Internet Radio without doing a Google search, finding the webpage, and then you have to find an actual link to the stream. It won't let you just hit "stream" on the browser. iTunes had a much better Internet Radio application in my opinion. I probably listen to Folk Alley more than anything in my Library, and it occasionally drops the stream. Linn Radio will only pay for about 5 minutes before it cuts out. I've only got about 6 stations stored in there that I can access, and each one required some effort to get stored. iTunes had hundreds to choose from and once you tuned it in, it stayed there. I think that most of my difficulties stem from the fact that I just don't know much about the program. I do beleive that I've got it to sound it's best, but I'd like to get more use out of it now that I've spent close to $100 on it.

If anyone actually read this far and you have some things that you like about JRMC, please share them here. I go on the Help Wiki and Forum sometimes to find out more about the program, but I mostly run into people that know way more about computers than I do speaking what is almost a foreign language. For instance, JRMC 16 has this "Red October" video function. What the heck is is? Can you really tweak a DVD to look better? Is there any way to rip and burn DVD's with J River without doing separate decryption and shrinking processes?

> Took the Plunge, but why?

It is always better to do your homework before you spend money or make a disruptive change.

Getting a version upgrade for J. River Media Center might give you some features that you need but what you really need is a better understanding of computer audio and some skills for finding solutions to your problems.

> The only thing I notice is that there is an Event Style WASAPI

> output now.

There are other changes that might or might not be of use to you. For example, the features for networked operation and remote control have been improved from MC 15 to MC 16.

> I read another post on here that said it didn't sound very good.

You could also find posts where users say that Event style WASAPI is the best choice in their system. A great deal of what people say in audio forums is personal opinion dressed up to look like proven fact. It is up to you to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

> In other words, I don't use the vast majority of it's features.

Finding the few features and options that you need is a key skill for using personal computers. Music player software is not an exception.

> I got it on trial and could not get my iTunes Library to transfer

> successfully.

> As I got further along in the process of reloading my collection

> a disc at a time, it soon came time to s!@# or get off the pot.

What file format were your files stored in when you were using iTunes? You could probably convert your files from that format to a format that JRMC could use without re-ripping them.

One problem that you might face is that iTunes doesn't necessarily store tags and album covers in the music files themselves. That information would not show up when you import files into a different player.

> J River had the advantage of a WASAPI output,

> so I decided to get rid of iTunes (on PC).

I don't see why you had to get rid of iTunes until you had everything working under JRMC.

> I organized each album into a playlist and use the "Tree" for all

> my navigation.

If your music files had tags for artist and album, you did not have to create playlists for each album.

> Most of the album covers are wrong

Were the album covers present in iTunes?

> and a good portion of my Library is live Greatful Dead show

> that don't even have covers.

Nobody is going to force you to use album covers to navigate and select files to play. I don't use them.

> Occasionally, I'll put it on "Radio play" which is like a "shuffle"

> for your entire Library. I find that it has a preference for

> certain albums and songs: Rusted Root and Johnny Cash always come

> up.

JRMC has had a shuffle option for years. You can turn shuffle on and off with the Shuffle command on the Player menu.

The radio play feature is newer and may work differently.

> J River burns and rips very slowly, and it would not burn a DVD

> in it's standard format.

The speed with which JRMC rips CDs depends on the CD or DVD drive you use. With the laptop drive I used when I started 5+ years ago JRMC ripped CDs at 2X playback speed. With the drive I use now, JRMC rips most CDs at 15X (~5 minutes for a 70 minute CD.)

I don't burn audio CDs or video DVDs.

> Probably the most frustrating thing about J River is I can't get

> it to play Internet Radio without doing a Google search, finding

> the webpage, and then you have to find an actual link to the

> stream. It won't let you just hit "stream" on the browser.

> iTunes had a much better Internet Radio application in my opinion.

Internet radio streams don't all work the same way. For some streams, you get a URL that connects to streaming output. For other streams, you get a playlist file with the URL inside. In other cases, you get a web site address and then you have to click on something on that page to play music. Other streaming sites are designed to work with a player they provide. It is all a big mess.

Apple may have put some effort into working through the mess but I doubt that they can hide all the messy details.

In MC 15 or 16, you can click on the connected media item in the tree under audio. In the text box beside the word Google, type the name of a stream or some descriptive phrase and click on the search button. This should give you a list of urls that match your search criteria. Click on one of the links. This may display the home page for a web stream. You may need to click on something to start playback. At that point, JRMC may display a dialog with a checkbox labeled "add .. to web media". In not, once playback is started, click on the name on a tab just below the playback progress bar and select the "add..." command.

The stream you added should now appear under the "My connected media" line under "connected media".

> I think that most of my difficulties stem from the fact that I

> just don't know much about the program.

Yes. here is a site with some good information on computer audio

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/

Here are some skills you might develop:

- search the JRMC forum for answers.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php

The same questions get asked and answered over and over. Be considerate and do your homework before you ask questions. You need to think about search phrases that might yield useful results. if your first try doesn't work, try different terms.

- look in the JRMC Wiki for information on how JRMC works.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions

- learn to explore the menus and dialogs in JRMC to find the features you need.

> For instance, JRMC 16 has this "Red October" video function.

> What the heck is is? Can you really tweak a DVD to look better?

It isn't about making DVDs look better. Internet videos come in a variety of (file) formats and with different codecs inside the file container. Finding and arranging the right sequence of components to play videos has not been automatic. J. River is trying to make JRMC capable of automating that process.

> Linn Radio will only pay for about 5 minutes before it cuts out.

Sometimes the path from the streaming a site and your PC gets congested and the stream is delayed or interrupted.

I listed to a couple of streams for some time without more than the usual internet streaming glitches. I added those streams to "My Connected media" and they were present the next time I wanted to listen to them.

> but I mostly run into people that know way more about computers

> than I do speaking what is almost a foreign language.

You will have to learn some terms and concepts.

Bill

I'm glad that you are making some progress.

> I have noticed, both here and on other posts, that you seem

> very knowledgeable and very defensive of J River.

I have used JRMC for over 5 years. I did my homework for months and tried a number of music play, ripper and tag editor programs before settling on JRMC. Bout 75% of my music collection is classical music, musicals and broadway standards where both composer and performer matter in browsing and selecting music. JRMC was by far the best choice for my needs.

I have no problem with JRMC users who know what they are talking about criticizing JRMC's operation. I have no patience for people who make no effort to understand JRMC or some other program and blame J. River for their own ignorance and failure. I have respect for other people's efforts and a respect for the truth. I react to ignorant rants in a forthright way but I try to provide some positive information in my posts as well.

> Are you afiliated with them or just know and like the product?

I am not affiliated with the J. River company. Since I express my opinions rather bluntly on their forum, I'm not a favorite with the owner of the company. Nothing that I write represents the company's official position and I don't clear what I write with them. I do try to get my facts straight though.

> You're absolutely right that I need to familiarize myself

> with some of the terms and concepts associated with the program.

That is equally true for other applications software and operating systems. In a perfect world, there would much more tutorial and how-to documentation for all software. In the real world, you need to get some core skills to figure out what you need given the level of information that exists.

Bill