A CD rip of this classic from the amazing trio of Bill Evans, Scott Lafaro, and Paul Motian:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18985[/ATTACH]

I love this CD (as with all the Evans/Lafaro/Motian recordings). I'm a newbie to hi-res, but wondering if anyone has the SACD version of this recording. (I looked at Qobuz but it has 16bit only).

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Thanks for the blog. I became a Schiff fan after hearing his Goldberg Variations on ECM a few years ago (which IMHO is better than the Goldbergs played by Hewitt, Dinnerstein or even Perahia). So I'm going to get this Scubert CD.

BTW. I like Dinnerstein but the recording quality on her Goldberg CD is awful, I think. Almost like the recording engineer doing a diservice to the artist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Two beautiful recordings of William Byrd's "Infelix Ego":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26463[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26464[/ATTACH]

christopher3393,

Just want to say a 'big thank you' for all these suggestions. You're on my "following' list - I'm getting many of the recordings you have posted. The Stile Antico is good (already have it). Will be getting the Taverner/Western Wind and Byrd.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26751[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

The very first track Whole Lotta Love is all over the place, the vocals, drums, guitars, instruments, etc. all move around a lot. Kind of mesmerising and confusing, but at the same time an excellent track if your system has a wide soundstage and also lets you pick and place the performers and instruments... but in a track like Whole Lotta Love it simply draws you in. An excellent track indeed to show off your system and also throw around a lot of audiophile terms like soundstage, PRaT, Channel Separation, Dynamic Range, etc.

That's just the beginning... Led Zeppelin II is an amazing followup to their first album that does not disappoint or even let up one bit. Heavy as Led Zeppelin goes, and yet not maniacal or out of sorts like most grunge and thrash bands are... Led Zeppelin for all of their hard/heavy music still know how to carry on a tune and make music with audible lyrics and music with enough rhythm and beats to get your feet tapping.

An excellent album, an excellent followup, and a classic that's going on strong as it nears 50 years. That's saying a lot indeed.

Highly recommend Led Zeppelin II in addition to Led Zeppelin I as a must own.

I, II and III are just awesome. Their debut album I is just outstanding for a new band. Still have the first released CDs (mastered by Barry Diamant).

Easily the best rock band ever. Very creative. Makes lots of "hard rock" bands sound boring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26721[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I.

Certainly worthy of the title "the heaviest band of all time", its heavy, its hard, its grabs you from the very first track and it does not let up or let you go. Well maybe a little too heavy for some folks, but Led Zeppelin warrants critical listening by everyone at least once. For their first album, Led Zeppelin I is very surprising. There is none of the rawness or we have to find our sound... the band looks set and plays with aplomb... like they've already had half a dozen records under their belt. Amazing when you consider it's their first album. Page and Plant are the loudest, but Bonham holds them to a tempo, and Jones ties everything together nicely to a tune. Some of the best "heaviest" music of all time.

Super album that's a must in any collection... especially when you consider the fact its a debut album.

Catching up on all studio albums by Led Zeppelin...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26852[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26853[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26854[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Presence

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26855[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Oh yeah :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ockeghem/De La Rue: Requiem

Cappella Pratensis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27679[/ATTACH]

Got this earlier in the year, very nice album - though I prefer their Missa Ave Maris.

Wish they'd record more :-)

Interesting. Cappella Pratensis sings the Ockeghem Requiem lower and slower than most. Next week, 5 recordings of Josquin's Missa Ave Maris Stella are in the queue, including Cappella Pratensis.

And your wish has been granted:

Pierre de La Rue

Cappella Pratensis

Visions of Joy | The Chapel of Hieronymus Bosch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27688[/ATTACH]

It's the 500th anniversary of this wonderful artist's death, so, lots of tributes.

Here's the connection:

"Music clearly fascinated the great Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516); his sketches and paintings are peppered with closely observed depictions of music-making and musical instruments. Bosch, a native of ’s-Hertogenbosch in the Duchy of Brabant, was a life-long brother of the city’s Brotherhood of Our Illustrious Lady, a large and prestigious organization for which sacred music was an essential and highly-valued part of its devotional life. Every Wednesday Bosch could gather with his Confraternity brothers in their opulent chapel in the church of St. John the Evangelist to celebrate a votive Mass in honour of the Blessed Virgin. This recording aims to capture a sense of the devotional soundscape that Bosch experienced throughout his life as a member of this music-loving Marian brotherhood. Instead of the frightening cacophony conjured by the artist’s vision of Hell, we encounter here the joy and serenity of the weekly Marian votive Mass liturgy. We have chosen the Missa Cum jocunditate by Pierre de la Rue (c.1452-1518), who was not only the most renowned composer of the Habsburg-Burgundian court but also an external member of the brotherhood from the early 1490s until his death in 1518. Indeed, La Rue may well have had occasion to meet Bosch during these years. Cappella Pratensis sings from the original notation, reading from scale copies of the confraternity’s manuscripts of plainsong and polyphony, and adopts the Brabant pronunciation of Latin those singers surely employed. They also read together from one large music book, like the men portrayed in the Singers in the Egg sketch attributed to Bosch."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27689[/ATTACH]

Sweet! Thanks for the pointer. Will be getting it.

Great that they're on SACD.

• 4 weeks later...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

If you exclude Hendrix from the Jazz/Rock Fusion category, there's only 2 guitar gods left in that genre in the 1970s. John McLaughlin is one of them (Larry Coryell is the gentler of the two). I feel these Columbia releases are his 'defining" milestones.

• 1 month later...
As a self confessed "Goldbergian" with numerous recordings, I have duplicates with the same artist but once. This is of course the notable recordings by Glenn Gould. Has any one listened to Angela Hewitt's return to this work?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29448[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the pointer. I have her 1999 version, which is just ok. So I'm curious to hear this new one.

Unfortunately, not fan of Glenn Gould :-)

Glad to share. I respect the opinion of those who saw genius in Gould and I found many of his interviews with CBC fascinating. I "discovered" him in ~1980 with the release of his second take on the Goldbergs which had been dragged from the dusty shelf of history with his 1955 recording. Often too aggressive for my taste and at times not exploring the dynamic range of a variation, what I found most objectionable are his vocalizations which the recording engineers could never fully address.

I only have a half dozen versions. My two current favorite Goldbergs are by Andras Schiff (ECM) and Murai Perahia (Sony). The 2015 Igor Levitt is also very good. Then there is Staier and Hantai on the harpsichord.

Does anyone here know where I can find a Goldberg by Alfred Brendel ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks, this caught my eye and I'll add to my library soon.

As an avowed "Goldbergian", I went for Hewitt's revisit to this work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30698[/ATTACH]

Resistance is futile...

Just got this new Hewitt cd, listened once and so far so good. Going to do a second listen.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for reminding me of this series. I viewed the 2-disc Sacred Music program that you mentioned, and enjoyed it, but have only seen one other:

Sacred Music: God's Composer

Music by Tomás Luis de Victoria from the Church of San Antonio de los Alemanes, Madrid (Single DVD)

Presented by Simon Russell Beale

Featuring Harry Christophers & The Sixteen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31337[/ATTACH]

I'm not crazy about Beale's style of presentation, but the performance scenes inside of a remarkable church made it worth viewing:

This is great, reminded me that I had the Coro box set of the Sixteen/Victoria. Going to re-listen.

I tried watching this documentary on YouTube, but found the presenter (Simon) a distraction. Sorry BBC, I decided not to buy the DVD :-)