IGNORED

CA audio newbie DAC question

I'm a newbie to computer audio, but not to audiophoolin' as I have what I consider pretty good sound from my CDs and vinyl. I see a lot of computer audiophiles go the outboard DAC way and I'm wondering if I can use my current DAC with a hard drive music server. I have a Counterpoint DA-10A that received the "Raptor" 24 bit / 96 khz upgrade and since it has extra S/PDIF inputs in both coax and toslink, I'd would be great to enjoy the benefits of an HD music server through it. Would it be a software issue, making sure it was compatible with the DA-10?

Any info you can give this newbie to computer audio will be appreciated.

Ralph[br]Give me audio or give me more audio!

I'm not familiar with your gear, but I don't see any reason you couldn't connect a computer to your dac. Depending on what kind of outputs your computer has, you could use USB output from computer & get a USB/SPDIF converter, or if your computer has coax or optical SPDIF output, you could connect directly to your dac's coax/optical.

rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

I was thinking it might work, but since I know little about CA I thought I'd gather some information before taking the plunge. A music server set up would be great for entertaining or listening to music while I do chores or watch football. And being an audiophile, I want it to sound good too.

Thanks again.

Ralph[br]Give me audio or give me more audio!