IGNORED

Which External cd/dvd read / writer for macbook ?

can someone recommend a good external firewire, usb, cd/dvd reader so instead of using my macbook pro built in internal cd/dvd reader, i just attach an external one.

I read that external would read better and less errors.

I also notice that when i insert cd into my macbook pro for ripping, in most cases creates scratches.

I would prefer the external cd/dvd reader to be tray loaded, not slot loaded.

someone care to chime in ?

thanks --SLM

There are lots of good ones available. You may find a Blue Ray cheap. But Mac does not support BR.

I picked up a Plextor 880-U and it is faster and quieter than the "Superdrive" in the Mini. It has both FW and USB ports. I expect it to last a long time.

You really need both ports. If using a USB Dac connect all the drives by daisey chainng them on FW. If you use a FW Dac, plug all drives directly into the computer with USB.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Thanks for the reply George.

I can't quite see clearly on the picture, is the tray mechanism tray type ? in the sense when you load the cd/dvd, you drop it rather than slide with friction ?

Where is the best place to drive this ?

does this run off the wallwart ?

any other drives you guys can recommend ?