IGNORED

Adding computer to an older system

I have a ~20 yr old system (Speakers >30yr!) which I am fond of (Quad 34 preamp, Quad 306 amp, Linn Sondek turntable, Quad ESL57). I am mainly an LP guy, but now even I have to go digital. My question is, would the following minimal upgrade work satisfactorily with my system:

A PC with an ASUS Xonar Essence ST Sound card, where the input into Xonar is the "Tape REC" output from the Quad 34 preamp and the output from the Xonar is the "Tape REP" input into the preamp. What I hope to achieve this way is (1) the existing sources (turntable and tape deck) would play as they do now, (2) I would be able to pipe their analog signals into the Xonar for digitization, and (2) digital music files stored in the computer would play through the Xonar->preamp->amp chain.

I would like to start with minimal upgrades and then add things (maybe a DAC) as needed. My main goal in this project is to digitize some old tapes (before my tape deck dies because a hard to find or irreplaceable belt breaks) and vinyls.

Any advice is appreciated, even if you tell me I should throw away my paleolithic system and start from scratch!

Yes, your suggestion of a Xonar sound card will work.

An alternative would be ESi Juli@ card or EMu 0404 USB 2.0 external sound card.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That is, don't throw away the old system. You will get plenty of advice on sound cards and DACs by reading this valuable forum for a couple of hours. I won't advise you because I have adopted a rather different approach to many here and your problem is addressed more than adequately by existing postings.

You already have most of what you need for a great computer audio system. I had the exact same for many years as well as Quad 2/22 amps before embarking on a very expensive and ultimately unrewarding 20 year journey through endless tube amps and high-end dynamic speakers only to return to ESLs and solid state.

That said, if you haven't already, you should get the ESL57s serviced. As a minimum, they will need cleaning. The dustcovers may well need attention and for peace of mind the bias voltage units should be checked out. The older bias supplies should be replaced. You might have holed diaphragms without knowing it (many have) and DIY servicing the 57 isn't for the faint of heart.

So before you embrace the wondrous world of computer audio and start stressing those magnificent speakers, give them a birthday.

Your tapes preserved will be the first step and there is still a market for second-hand Sondeks!

I don't know enough about the unit, but I think I read somewhere that the Furutech functions as both a DAC and an ADC. You'd need to check the impedance of the GT40 to make sure it would work with your equipment, but the functionality may be just what you need.

Please let us know what solution you choose.

I have an xonar Essence and The sound quality is top notch the headphone output will blow you're socks off.

You should also be aware that it has its own internal DAC and that when you come to fit it into your computer it needs a seperate power cable or it won't work don't be put off by this its not hard to do and any compentent PC shop will do it.

I'm not sure about the set up you want but let me detail mine the back of the Card has coaxil output which I use and RCA output so you could feed the RCA direct to your amp, or buy an External DAC I have a Musical Fidelity M1 £390 british pounds great DAC if you had one of these the coaxil from the Xonar would run to the DAC the DAC would then run to your AMp Via RCA so your set up would stay the same but give you the option of the wonderfull world of computer playback .

Don;t be daunted by this once you start its fairly stright forward and there would be many people to help you alone the way on this forum alone I'm was ito vinyl big time and it took a while to get to the point where I was satisfied with the sound quality to say this is good if not better than vinyl, I still have a turntable all pluged in, but I never use it, if you need further help just post some more

Thanks, twdodge. I looked up Furutech ADL GT40. To my (admittedly, modest) understanding, it seems to be doing exactly the same thing that Xonar Essence does. Here are a few differences I can point out:

Furutech can take the phono input directly, Xonar can't. That means the Furutech has an RIAA equalization circuit (which adds a few dollars to its cost). By using my analog preamp before the sound card, I use the RIAA equalization of the preamp, thus all the signals from the preamp are at the line level which is fine for the Xonar. Using this system is slightly simpler - the turntable and the tape deck are permanently connected with the preamp as usual and the input is selected on the preamp. With the Furutech I would have to unplug one and plug in the other as the need arises.

Apart from that, the main difference may be in sound quality. Furutech costs about $500, Xonar $200. Is the price difference justified based on the sound quality? I have not heard either one, but would very much like to hear the opinions of those who have.

My feeling has always been the Xonar is a great card for playback but is limited (in functionality) as a recording card.

The EMu 0404 is the best option for ADC being external and therefore more immune to RFI from computer. It's also great as a DAC. It's SPDIF output however is limited to 24/96 (the other cards are 24/192).

The ESi has great specification, but may be influenced by internal noise of the computer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.