IGNORED

Blu-Ray Player on network

I have a lot of CDs and a lot of music on an external hard drive. I recently picked up a Blu-Ray player (Sony BDP-580) with built in wifi hoping this may be an all in one solution. Let me just get my excitement out of the way by saying that I picked up Tom Petty's MOJO on audio blu-ray and it sounds phenomenal!! I'm surprised I haven't heard much on these forums about the virtues of music on blu-ray. Anyhow, that's all beside the point because that's the part that worked out wonderfully.

I was able to turn my mac mini into a server with PS3 Media Server software but I still could not get my external hard drive to be recognized. I moved a sample file around and it seems this particular player can scarcely handle any audio file formats, though it claims it can handle m4a among others in the manual. It also struggles with the web browser and does not connect with Rhapsody in any fashion. In short, my digital server dreams were quickly doused with cold water, even though my CD and blu-ray audio needs are well served. So I'm thinking of returning this blu-ray player for a different model. Anybody know of another wifi ready blu-ray that can handle m4a and maybe Rhapsody?

~ Any Blu-Ray player-->Any Turntable-->Marantz 2265 Receiver-->any computer monitor with HDMI input for all disc playback control-->any floor speakers from 70s.[br]~ Digital files on iPod-->noise canceling headphones.[br]~ Digital files @ home-->work in progress