IGNORED

DACs for snacks

A couple of years back, with the help of Chris Connaker and the assembled posters on this forum, I got into the wild and wacky world of computer audio. I say wild and wacky because (1)the learning curve was steep(i.e., you didn't really know what you were doing until you assembled equipment in your home and tried and figure out what you were doing), (2)and the risks were sizeable(as in, where can you go to audition DACs and, if you couldn't audition any, you were left with internet forum word of mouth to help you make a decision as to where to spend your currency and time).

That's not even to begin to get into the time investment included in ripping hundreds of redbook CD's and a handful of DVD Audio discs to my laptop. At the end of the day I can say that it has been worth it as I've upgraded my gear(Mirage speakers for Gallo Stradas, Sony receiver for Marantz PM KI Pearl amplifier, Harmon Kardon CD player for OPPO BDP-83SE multiformat player with Modwright mods, no DAC for Logitech Transporter followed by Berkeley Audio DAC followed by PS Audio Perfectwave DAC which is still a software work in progress).

At this point, everything is sounding pretty good albeit with the PS Audio software glitches and the difficulties inherent in trying to peacefully co-exist with my wife and son, an NAS drive, and an original iPad as controller.

The world of redbook has largely given way at times to the world of hi rez downloads which, indeed, sound fantastic at 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 and 24/192. Indeed, it's been a glimpse into the world of possibilities, even as 32/352 and 32/384 loom as utopian ideals.

So now, I find myself addicted to a handful of forums like this one as I attempt to move closer and closer to the Holy Grail of computer audio. I find myself reading about DAC after DAC at various price points and I often wonder where it's all going. For one, high end audio is a real niche market wherein folks like Peter St make DACs out of their home and others like Gordon Rankin and Paul McGowan produce DACs on a larger production scale, yet there are fewer and fewer places where one can audition any of them(plus the synergy with one's system means that a DAC is best experienced in one's own home, usually with, say, 100 hours of burn in time before coming to any conclusions). This has increasingly become an internet endeavor and not one than a person can easily explore by going to brick and mortar establishments. If this is true for me, working in Boston and traveling often to visit family in New York City, then what does that say for folks living far from any metropolitan city? If you want to test drive a Prius you can usually find a dealer that carries one; not so with DACs.

There are a number of posts on this forum wherein people compare DACs at various price points, yet it is still largely impossible to convey the experience of said DACs in one's own home system. I would be overjoyed to get the chance to hear, say, the Weiss DAC202, the M2Tech Young and the Phasure NOS 1 in my own home, if for no other reason than to hear how good it might possibly get with my own modest system. I would also love to have the opportunity to hear 32/352 or 32/384 recordings(after all, if 24/96 files sound this good, what about 32/352 files, however few there are).

I think I get why there are people on this forum and others who own or audition more than one DAC(thus, "DACs for snacks")in the ever elusive search for their own personal favorite non-digital sounding, totally involving, and incredibly clear sounding musical experience with all the sound staging and broad frequency spectrum wonders intact.

And to think, there was a time not too long ago when I didn't know what a DAC was.

Esau

Basically the same here,but after having travelled for almost six months with my little handy DACPORT,I just bought my first 24/192 capable DAC the new HD20 from the Norwegian company Hegel and I must say that although happy with the Dacport for travel .THIS thing connected via coax1 is in a different league.

But not a lot better via USB. But via coax1 and via my also new Headphone amp MH1HPA, as recommended here by Chris in his review of the combo I feel that I am in real STUDIO QUALITY territory now.

I didn´t go for the DAC from Musical Fidelity,but chose the IMHO better and more expensive Hegel.

It has been quite a while since my latest studio visit, but my 24/192 files from 2L now sound even closer to the real thing than ever before in my own home. Unfortunately neither the Hegel nor the Musical Fidelity amp "travel light".

Now I just have to find a USB DAC/Headphone AMP that both "travels light" and can really compare with my new home setup.

Any tips on truly HIGH END portable stuff?

Don´t get me wrong ,the Dacport is still good value for money, but simply not in real HIGH END territory compared to the new combo.

Grateful for any tips on non compromise portable solutions.

Chrille

I doubt if the differences in the dacs are large enough to justify all the "upgrading" if they were compared.

See where you swapped a BADA for the PS PW. Was that a big improvement in playback quality?

There are new dacs coming out all the time. But the USB to SPDIF converters seem to be where most of the development is right now. I would rather have a good dac with FW/USB input.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I personally found the PS Audio PWD to be more musical and more involving than the Berkeley which had great clarity but was somewhat sterile sounding and uninvolving to my ears. Right now, I continue to be in the throes of PWD/Bridge software updates as the company tries to nail down (1)hi rez for FLAC files greater than 24/96 and (2)gapless play(currently not working at all). Until those issues are resolved, there will continue to be much angst expressed on the PS Audio forum and few audiophile magazine reviews of the PWD.

Esau