IGNORED

Trying to make sense of this article on HDMI...and getting my head around streaming 'jitter'

You actually created a convert! I tried a comparison between my beloved HDMI and S/PDIF and using a coaxial (rather than optical--to my ears the coaxial sounded a bit better...but then again I smoke some funny stuff sometimes). Both sounded much less harsh on the highs, the lows tended to sound a bit more relaxed and more analogish than HDMI. I've not yet used an asynchronous transfer between my components but I did notice a modest increase in sound quality. I have since rigged the oppo to output to S/PDIF and I am enjoying it. I wouldn't say it's night and day but I definitely was able to hear the difference. Thanks to everyone for enlightening me. This thread included the most concrete reasons I've heard for not using HDMI. Thanks also for One and a Half. You reaffirmed my choice in components--and it does sound much better over coax but again haven't plunged on the asynch yet.

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]