IGNORED

V-DAC USB input

To question 1: yes, it helps very much! In two respects: you can now play 24/96 content via USB, and the sound quality improves considerably (far more stable stereo image in my case for example).

Sorry but I don't have an answer to question 2. However, my music files are on a wireless NAS, and I think it's a good idea to have the V-LINK on it's own USB bus (for one: it needs power from USB), without other hardware such as USB drives. I don't have any data supporting this though, and doubt whether my system (and my ears) is resolving enough to detect the influence of another USB device or wireless vs wired....

Hope this helps, Koen

Alix 2d13/Voyage MPD [linear PSU]-> Musical Fidelity V-LINK -> Musical Fidelity V-DAC [Little Pinkie linear PSU] -> Marantz PM7001 -> Kef iQ7SE

...because many devices implement USB cheeply via a single chip from Texas Instruments (TI) or CMedia and these only support 16bit and 44.1 and 48khz transfer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I you use a V-Link (or Halide Bridge or M2Tech) then you are no longer limited by the DACs own USB port. In the case of the V-DAC it will accept up to 24/96 via its SPDIF port.

However if used with a DAC accepting 24/192 you would be limited to te max rate of the V-Link which is 24/96.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Right, but I guess where I'm confused is if the computer's USB output is limited by a cheap chipset, I don't get how putting a V-Link next in the chain suddenly gives me a 24 bit stream. Regardless of the V-Link's specs, it would still be receiving 16 bit.

The cheap chipset I referred to is in the V-DAC. I using a V-Link that chipset is bypassed.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Thanks for all the help. I guess what I'm asking is this - does the V-Link cause the computer to output 24 bit from USB when it would not otherwise have done so? If the computer's USB is limited to 16 bit, would it not hold true that a V-Link next in the signal path would only be receiving what the computer gives it (16 bit in this case)?

A computer's USB output is NOT limited to 16bit. The limitation is on the input to the DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

I am using the V-Link out of my USB, connected by coax to the V-Dac. Based on this setup, can I actually use 24/192 flacs - and if I do, is that what I am actually getting out of the V-Dac? If not, what is the best output I am actually able to achieve?

Thank you.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

24/96 is the limit for both the optical and coax connection. 16/48 for the USB input.

And yes, you can play 24/192, but these will be downsampled to 24/96 by your playback software.

Alix 2d13/Voyage MPD [linear PSU]-> Musical Fidelity V-LINK -> Musical Fidelity V-DAC [Little Pinkie linear PSU] -> Marantz PM7001 -> Kef iQ7SE

• 1 month later...

So...an owner of a V-Dac myself i can tell you this:

USB input is limited to 16 bits/44.1-48 Khz

Now the SPDIF input on the V-Dac will accept signals up to 24bits/96Khz.

That's where the V-Link becomes interesting as most computer optical outputs are limited to 24bits/44.1Khz.

Moreover, the V-Dac USB input is not asynchronous, while the USB input of the V-link is.

Note that V-Dac upsamples all signals to 24bits/192Khz.

Therefore, adding a V-Link will transform your V-Dac into an asynchronous USB Dac handling signals up to 24bits/96Khz and upsampling everything to 24bits/192Khz.

also accepts signals up to 24/96, like the optical spdif input, correct? I have my V-link and V-Dac connected by the coaxial input/output of the two boxes.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

• 4 weeks later...

I have a v-dac connected to my synology ds210j NAS by USB out directly from the NAS.

As i can understand, there is a 16 BIT upper limit set by the chip in the V-DAC and by connecting a V-link between my NAS and V-DAC, the limit will be 24 BIT, so far so good?!

But is there an output bit limit from the Synology NAS when i play the music from the Audio Station software on my NAS? I cant figure out if the NAS sets a upper 16 BIT/48 Khz limit? If it does, i wont benefit from buying a V-link, which I am considering.

Sorry if its a silly question but im a digital audio noob :-)

My synology DS210J NAS plays all formats with the Audio station in USB mode, FLAC, MP3, WAV etc.

But isnt the NAS converting/decoding for example FLAC to another format that the V-DAC can read? and is that conversion/decoding limited to an upper limit bitrate when it is sent out of the USB?

I have some FLAC 24BIT/96Khz music files, but will those files be "downsampled" by the Audio Station software in the NAS when sent through the USB output?

Sorry for all my questions :-/