IGNORED

Kalpesh’s Music

Rhino just issued a AAA mastered by Kevin Gray and I was almost about to purchase my first LP in years...

I own a Specialty Pressing 1977 original that is damn shrill (and I listen to my analog rig with the solid red response that seats well between Harman/Toole and Bruel & Kjaer , mighty fine with most Lps and my analog parametric equalizer has limited possibilities) and the 24/192 files from HDTracks mastered by who knows who.

Played mighty loud the 24/192, with the solid blue in room response (found can't remember when and where as JBL M2/ Harman Audio Test System), has a bit muddy bass but is overall quite enjoyable.

Feed back on the Kevin Gray or alternate digital source welcome

TV MM.jpg

Capture d’écran 2024-02-10 à 21.31.32.png

1 hour ago, Kalpesh said:

Rhino just issued a AAA mastered by Kevin Gray and I was almost about to purchase my first LP in years...

I own a Specialty Pressing 1977 original that is damn shrill (and I listen to my analog rig with the solid red response that seats well between Harman/Toole and Bruel & Kjaer , mighty fine with most Lps and my analog parametric equalizer has limited possibilities) and the 24/192 files from HDTracks mastered by who knows who.

Played mighty loud the 24/192, with the solid blue in room response (found can't remember when and where as JBL M2/ Harman Audio Test System), has a bit muddy bass but is overall quite enjoyable.

Feed back on the Kevin Gray or alternate digital source welcome

TV MM.jpg

Capture d’écran 2024-02-10 à 21.31.32.png

The studio signature, reverbs and, probably sharp intent, is better preserved with the green in room response while remaining quite cranckable

SHARPER TV.jpg

I'm not very found of Diana Krall (here we re talking about her musicianship, not her body, right?) and much prefer her husband, lucky Elvis.

But this one is interesting for it's the opportunity to pull this trick I once shared (with the Audio Palette Qs, about 2 octaves) :

Lewis Lipnick (Stereophile Cello Palette review) 3 :” Jennifer Warnes's Famous Blue Raincoat. By gently lowering the 500Hz and 2kHz bands by 0.5dB, I can get rid of a slightly hollow upper-midrange ring. It's also possible to restore more of the harmonic color in Warnes's voice by boosting the 20kHz control by just 0.5dB.”

LL did not state his in room response, so I tweaked a good ol' Bruel & Kjaer, knocking out 1 dB/2octaves @80 Hz to tame the double bass (and my bass drivers are "asservis", meaning any membrane move is prevented going overboard by an electronic loop + I have Virtual Bass Array filters preventing buildup of LF peaks). Actually I knocked 1dB, not 0.5 @2K.

Jennifer Warnes's Famous Blue Raincoat, DK' Look of love : is there a particular illness plaguing so called audiophile recordings ? 'As of the DK, I played the MCh downmixed

Sonarworks published a comprehensive survey showing that the average response of many many speakers in many many rooms remarkably fits Toole's/Harman etc predictions for the perfect speaker (of a while ago, before it followed BK and more recently, ie Cabasse's Sphere are meant to go flat to 10K then parabolic rolloff ) but but for limited LF and 3K dip ; an explanation ?

Capture d’écran 2024-02-17 à 13.40.30.png

SONARWORKS HOME AV VS SL TOOLE ISS.jpg

Thank you for offering me such a special treatment "Kalpesh's Music", I'm flattered. I suppose you're thankful for I provide cues to enjoy much more recordings than one can do with just one in room response, either because you cut too much treble, see Genelec's survey showing flat average response for modern Genelec monitoring (Last PJ Harvey was mastered with ATC speakers but is a good exemple of shrill female voice with distorted guitars that is very palatable/enjoyable with a flat in room response, per modern recommendations, while it's a pity (and no cable, streamer etc etc will compensate)to listen in exemple to The Nightfly without the bass boost shown above. Can hear how a poor experience it is by simply applying a flat bass room response.

Each and every time we listen to a track we actually remaster, to no physical support but our ears/brain, and the closer we reproduce in our rooms the mastering conditions, the less we destroy the intent.

Glad to help !

GENELEC SURVEY AVERAGE.jpg