IGNORED

Three audio sources with an easy ability to switch between them?

Yero

Question

Hello!

I am very new to this audio world and very excited!

I have three sources of audio coming from my PC:

1. YouTube - ASUS ProArt PA329C Monitor's speakers with a cable 3.5mm cable

2. Music - Sennheiser HD 650 with 4.4mm (balanced) or 2.5mm (balanced) cable - 300 Ω

3. Gaming - Razer Barracuda Pro (2.4GHz Wireless + Bluetooth) - 32 Ω

NOTE: I did not purchase the Sennheiser yet, so for that reason I have a choice of aftermarket (balanced) cable, or build it myself, but my birthday is coming up, so I'll be getting them at end of May.

I also have a FiiO K7 (regular, not the bluetooth version) AMP/DAC connected via USB cable to the PC.

I thought to return regular version of FiiO K7 (which I can still do via Amazon) and get a Bluetooth version of it.

Then get a splitter switch to be be able to switch between monitor and Sennheiser headphones by connecting them to a balanced 4.4 connection and them Bluetooth headphones also.

Problem is I was not able to find a 4.4mm (male) to 4.4mm (female) or 2.5mm (female) splitter with a switch so that I could also get an adapter to connect the monitor audio with.

But then I started thinking it is really kind of gimmicky and thought that If I can get a proper DAC/AMP combo that can support three sources would be a perfect solution.

There is a little thing though. I like FiiO design and a large turning knob at the front of it. There is others like it by FiiO, but more expensive (K7 is $200 on Amazon). I am ok spending a little over $500 if I like how it looks and it will do all the things I want it to do (easily switch between 3 devices). I also would not like a separate amp and dac - I like things minimal and compact, but maybe you'll be able to convince me otherwise if it is worth it?

Would you please take a look at this $500 Bluetooth DAC/AMP - FiiO K9 (not the K9 Pro) and tell me if it will connect all three and give me an ability to switch with a click of a button?

or perhaps someone can suggest an alternative one if it is not too far off $500?

Your input will be VERY VERY VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

On 5/8/2023 at 12:00 AM, Yero said:

1. YouTube - ASUS ProArt PA329C Monitor's speakers with a cable 3.5mm cable

Looking at https://www.asus.com/us/displays-desktops/monitors/proart/proart-display-pa329c/techspec/ I don't understand what for 3.5mm cable you are speaking about. Did you provide correct link?? Your link leads to display with integrated speakers having these interfaces:

USB-C x 1 (DP Alt Mode)
DisplayPort 1.2 x 1
HDMI(v2.0) x 3
USB Hub : 5x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
USB-C Power Delivery : 60W

ASUS ProArt display speakers are accessible from PC as output audio device, see here: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043514/

Would you please take a look at this $500 Bluetooth DAC/AMP - FiiO K9 (not the K9 Pro) and tell me if it will connect all three

You could use FiiO K9 as DAC for your intended Sennheiser headphones.

Bluetooth in Fiio K9 DAC is intended for computer connection and not to connect to bluetooth headphones.

For bluetooth headphones you don't need a separate DAC since bluetooth is digital transfer technology so logically DAC must be part of every bluetooth headphones.

give me an ability to switch with a click of a button

You want to use 3 types of applications on PC (youtube in browser, music from an media player app and a game app) with audio output. For each type of audio producing app you want to use other output audio device. You can switch audio devices in your computer without need to invest any $.

image.png.52c36aff55f39e4b0a07cd6f6a04679d.png

You did not mention which application you want to use to play youtube videos and which one you want to play music. You did not specify your OS. In Win11 case you can set specific output audio device for each application, for example here you can see that I can choose output device for foobar2000:

image.png.182f6096fce730521e3d372098a88158.png

If you are playing yootube videos for example in Firefox app, you can set your ASUS display audio as output audio device for Firefox.

If you are playing audio files for example in foobar2000 app, you can set your FiiO K9 device as output audio device for foobar2000.
Then no switching is needed at all. Youtube will play on your display audio and music will play through K9 device.
Your bluetooth headphones, when paired with PC, create an audio device too. Most probably it is set automatically as default audio device so then all computer output will play on your wireless headphones. Nothing to switch in this case too.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500