IGNORED

S.MS.L D300 Native DSD DAC Review with Measurements

6 minutes ago, bogi said:

DAC RESET screen shows (that's for 1.0, newer ones show MCU firmware version and USB firmware version in that screen).

My USB driver version is the latest 5.58 form SMSL home page.

Hi Bogi, thank you so much for this. I hadn't realised I might need to update drivers. I'll look into that and will report back.

1 minute ago, bogi said:

So there is a difference. I am interested to know if USB driver version 5.58 has influence on it.

I'm not sure how to go about the driver. I use a Raspberry Pi as NAA, so HQP automatically recognizes that with the DAC attached. I guess that the RPi image used generic USB drivers?

I don't think that in this case installing 5.58 drivers on the PC will do anything, Will it?

8 hours ago, bogi said:

@satshanti Just one question. Did you use image naa-450-raspberrypi4-holored.7z from https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/ or did you install NAA software from https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/linux/ on already running Linux system?

Oops! I had forgotten that I'm probably still running it on version 4.20, so I should have tried updating that first. :-( The reason I'm still using this older version is that when I upgraded to 4.30 in the past, suddenly I could hear a very loud pop at the start of each new track, which was super annoying. So I thought: if it works, don't fix it. :-) When I have some time I'll use the newest 2.50 image and see if that changes things.

BTW, I saw some mention of an idle time setting in the newest release, which I haven't updated to yet, that could prevent pops. Did I understand that right?

Another thing: in your post you link to a Holo Red version. I've always used the regular RPi4 version. What's the difference and which should I use?

Thanks again for your helpful engagement!

16 hours ago, Miska said:

No, that is entirely up to the USB firmware inside DAC.

Yes, I was afraid of that, and you did already mention this in your first response. I did try it yesterday with the latest NAA image 4.50 and as I kind of expected, it didn't make a difference.

Bogi mentioned that if I'd run Windows on the RPi4 and install SMSL's ASIO driver, that might work, but is that true? I'd want to run a headless NAA. Would SMSL's driver even work on such a Windows-based NAA? I'm keen to try options, but for music listening I can't connect my PC directly to the DAC, as it's a noisy monster that has to stay in another room. My limited understanding tells me that there's no solution then.

It's a pity, because having had the Cayin RU7 for a few days, which could actually run 48k-based DSD, not only was it now possible to run Sinc-Medium with 96k material, and the halfbands with 192k, but it seemed to sound better as well, maybe not surprising considering it's possibly more accurate to reconstruct waves to multiples, rather than from 48k to 44.1k.

Anyway, even converted to 44.1k DSD, the music sounds pretty damned good with Sinc-Short. Those last 3 filters in the list are awesome, as are many of the new halfbands by the way. I do have some more thoughts about filters, but will write a new post in the HQP thread, when I have some time.

1 hour ago, bogi said:

I prefer now more old poly-sinc-mp, poly-sinc-short-mp, along with newer poly-sinc-hb-m, poly-sinc-hb-s, poly-sinc-gauss-halfband, poly-sinc-gauss-halfband-s, sinc-short, sometimes sinc-Lm. Now I am less using poly-sinc-gauss and poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp, since I am somehow missing more fullness in sound with them than with E50. I am using mostly EC7-super and EC5-super modulators.

At first I used ED5 but as my system was upgraded, I now settled on EC7-super as well.

I tried a lot of filters, but will have to try some of your suggestions, earlier ones at the top of the list. My current favorites are: sinc-short/medium/long (depending on genre and sample rate, for classical, acoustical or anything else that's well-recorded and bass-shy. For pop. rock. blues etc I have a number of choices, depending on the recording: poly-sinc-hb-x-ss, gauss-halfband-2, poly-sinc-xtr-short-mp and even the mqa-mp3-mp is a great choice for poorly recorded material. And occasionally I fall back on the default xla, but in most cases I then actually prefer the non-apodizing version xl. 

11 hours ago, bogi said:

Linux - GentooPlayer:
Kernel: 6.6.1-rt14-x86_64-GP-RT-MIN
GentooPlayer | 05:34 | Wed 13/12/23
v8.40-182 | Generic Device (x86_64)

Thanks for sharing this, Bogi. I noticed it's the x86 version he's using. Doesn't GentooPlayer also have a RPi4 version? I seem to remember having tried it in the past, but Miska's NAA sounded better to my ears at the time. I'll look into this. 

Another thing: is he really sure it's working properly? Displays and figures don't mean everything. They might show the correct data, but the DAC might still play music at a slower speed, at 44.1/48 = 0.91875x to be exact. With some music you barely notice, especially if you've never heard before how it should sound. At first, it seems to work, but it's not how it should sound. Just a thought... 

3 minutes ago, bogi said:

@satshanti You could try to play a second of 48k content with PCM output set to let DAC to switch the clock to 48k family and then to switch output to DSD. With oldest Topping E30 that helped. I prepared a script to automate it. With D300 of @mrba that did not help. He measured 918Hz when playing 1k at 48x DSD rates.

Currently I have confirmed 48k DSD to work on D300 only with my oldest MCU fw version 1.0.

Well, I finally got around to testing my DAC with the SMSL ASIO drivers and found the same result as @mrba, HQP shows 48x rates, SMSL driver status screen shows 48x rates, but DAC plays everything at a slightly lower frequency, so unfortunately, at least with our newest firmware, it's not working. Strange that your 1.0 firmware works fine. Why would they remove the feature when they update firmware? Anyway, we gave it a try. :-)