IGNORED

Article: Using Roon ARC on Vacation - I Hate It, I Love It, I'm Indifferent

I switched from OpenHome and DLNA to Roon about a year ago, but I still keep MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server running on my NAS and the BubbleUPnP control point on my Android devices.

For me, Roon ARC runs sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. In no case will it drive a DLNA, OpenHome, or Roon client at the receiving end. On a good day, it will drive a USB DAC via a cable from my (Android 13, Samsung) phone. Most days, it won't.

Though it was a bit trickier to set up, the BubbleUPnP Server setup has always worked well. I can stream my own library and Qobuz (BubbleUPnP supports Qobuz) and direct the output to any DLNA or OpenHome renderer, no matter where I am. I sent music to a friend's Rossini DAC, to a NAIM Uniti at a local dealership, and on many vacations.

I have a lifetime subscription and I am worried about Roon's future. They don't support any of the most popular streaming services, so it's hard to see how their user base can grow. They spent a lot of development effort on ARC*, which is buggy, crippled in output options, and with a GUI seemingly designed by someone who never used any other Roon clients. I still love using Roon at home, but I don't like ARC yet, and I'm concerned about Roon's future.

Mike

* Why pick a name already used for two other audio things? (Anthem Room Correction, HDMI Audio Return Channel)