IGNORED

What's My Best Option for Computer Speakers @ ~$200 or So?

riverofwind

Question

Hi I am looking to upgrade my Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers on my computer. Wirecutter recommends the Pioneer DJ DM-50D-BT, which interestingly functions as both studio monitor and normal speaker with two modes, production & dj mode. They also briefly mention the Audioengine A1 & A2+. Are any of these good options to consider? Any others out there worth mentioning? Also keep in mind I'm in an apartment building so I can't be making my neighbors' houses shake with loud bass and high volumes.

Is there a significant difference between a $200 pair and a $400 pair like say the Audioengine A5+ or do you then reach the point of diminishing returns?

I've been very happy with my ars technica studio monitor headphones for TV series at night and I swear I can hear every minor sound there is, which raises the question are studio monitor speakers preferred among audiophiles over regular audio curve modifying speakers for their preservation of the original audio?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

i bought a pair of Presonus Eris E8 6 years ago and they still sound great! tho i have nothing really to compare too but im quite happy with them (specially with roomcorrection and a little housecurve)

i would say they are hard to beat at the price point, get the E5 if you dont want so much bass (with room correction the E8 are already much bass in my opinion (measured flat to 40Hz (and if 40Hz is 80db then 20Hz is at 55db, its not flat but it "rumbles" enough imo, i still dont have a sub because of that and my neighbors))

im looking right now at the Kali Audio IN-8 as my next update, its price wise a little step (500 vs 800€ to the eris e8) but many report that they punch well above their price point and many are also happy with the lower priced kali audios, its worth a look i think, i think the LP-6 are somewhat in your price range

tho i have to say, i struggled the first 1-3 years with studio monitors, they sound very revealing but you really have to apply some eq/housecurve to fully enjoy them for "casual listening" (my house curve isnt far from flat (like +/- 2db) but it makes a huge difference)

my house curve looks like this bass boost 1-1.5db 100hz and down and 1k and up there is a linear gradient which starts at 1k and around 10k and up its -1.5/2db down

Thanks Ghoostknight. What kinda listening did you do with your studio monitors that benefited from eq/housecurve? I find my ars technica studio monitor headphones to be far superior for TV series watching than my Bose Companion 2 Series III speakers.

Is there a sweet spot for price vs performance? A point of diminishing returns I mentioned in my original post? 

Thanks.

i just use them for listening music so far and they sound great at it (i kinda wanna watch movies too but im bound to my moode audio setup where it isnt straightforward to get sound from your pc to) with music the housecurve was an overall improvement, but maybe specially with some more bad recordings, i watch movies (and youtube and stuff) mostly with headphones (DT880 with harman curve correction) 

i tested movies a while ago and dynamics are huge with movies, its not something you can "casually" watch, its always a expierence so to say (for me actually kinda too much dynamics, im still thinking about getting a compressor for movies, with music it really isnt a problem), dont get me wrong i listen kinda loud to music (75-85db) but the dynamic swings in movies can be overwhelming and its not a option to watch movies at night with studio monitors, dont think you can turn your volume down, you wont understand conservations well, if you set your volume to a level where conservations sound "natural loud", explosions and stuff throw you off your seat 

if you go into high end audio kinda expect it to be like this: bad recordings sound worse and good recording better than you are used too with more "commercial/mainstream" speakers, unfortunaly its kinda a double edged sword imo (but good recordings are worth it tho!)

and in my expierence studio monitors sound best if you actually listen to 70-85db loud stuff, they really feel natural then (since music is also mixed at those volumes) but at lower volumes they kinda can sound boring/flat

unfortunaly everything has up and downsides, if you mostly listen to low volumes get ready to use a eq (and/or compressor for movies) with studio monitors or get some "already eq`d" hifi speakers

it was kinda a long way for me to figure this out but i think studio monitors are great for there flat response, you have a good base you can tweak to your likings with a "house curve" but you have to be ready to use a EQ, specially for lower volumes imo

1 hour ago, riverofwind said:

Is there a sweet spot for price vs performance? A point of diminishing returns I mentioned in my original post?

unfortunaly i cant really advice here much since the eris e8 are my only "higher priced" speakers i owned, i can just say that they are a huge stepup from logitech and similar "mainstream" stuff, if you got used to somewhat good studio speakers you really dont want to use lower priced speakers/smartphone speakers and such anymore

but if you are looking for somewhat cheap monitors that still are very good i would look into the 400-1000 region, im happy with my eris e8 but now looking back i wouldnt really mind if i would have spent 1000 directly instead of upgrading now

i think after reading many reviews i would avoid studio monitors under 200, you are better off spending 400 and up in the long run, i mean i have the eris e8 now 6 years.... 500 bucks for 6 years? totally worth it imo :)

I own both Audioengine speakers you mentioned (A2 and A5), and can vouch for their outstanding value as conventional powered loudspeakers (whether or not alongside a computer), especially if you buy the perfectly good “refurbished”.

They have analog outputs for a subwoofer which track with your volume settings, so consider this addition for the smaller model if you want deep bass.