IGNORED

Apparent poor harmonics distortion or just a bad recording?

Hi Confused

Luckily im now considerably less confused about what’s happening.

I use headphones pretty much all the time, neighbour’s et al…

After some time trying to rectify the sound, eq etc, this combination of midrange and headphones seems to be the cause.

One thing that’s unexpectedly Emerged is an improvement in my system.

fas42 made the suggestion of a single mains circuit for audio.

I thought I was out of luck with the uk ring mains but remembered an old single spur from the fuse box….

Result, a fab improvement in sound. Ring mains are bad news for audio!

The ‘Track is still horrible, but less horrible. The rest of the tracks seem ok but there does seem that bias toward mid range.

Thanks to all

C.

5 hours ago, Citrus said:

I thought I was out of luck with the uk ring mains but remembered an old single spur from the fuse box….

Result, a fab improvement in sound. Ring mains are bad news for audio!

Several years ago, I attended a local audio show, where IsoTek founder himself came from UK and explained enthusiastically how mains quality is detrimental for audio. It was impressive and memorable presentation. Looking back about it and now I know UK have a special home mains wiring "ring circuit" to save copper, that is adversarial to hi-fi audio, for example audio picks up noise from washing machine, maybe UK has the most advanced and thought through mains quality improvement solutions.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

UK ring mains might be more efficient, may be they’re not?

Typical of the UK though to be different to everyone else!

Oh, I’ve got a great idea. Lets do our electrics with really weird wiring and make things more difficult to do’

More efficient, true. In Japan, typically 14AWG or 12AWG is used and it delivers 15A, 100V and 1500W, while 13AWG ring circuit of UK delivers 32A, 230V and 7200W. I was surprised when 2200W vacuum cleaners are sold there (while it seems it is banned now and regulated to 900W maximum)

Developer of PlayPcmWin

• 1 year later...
On 5/19/2022 at 4:22 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

(snip) such as Linus tech tips opening jingle, where synthesizer sound level fluctuates with beat of drums, I think it is simply unacceptable.

I found this compressor is technically called “Sidechain compression”

From izotope manuals https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/what-is-sidechain-compression.html

One common use of sidechain compression is in electronic dance music (EDM). A compressor is placed on the bass so when there's a kick drum hits, the bass level drops to create room for the kick.

Developer of PlayPcmWin