IGNORED

Winows 7 64bit SP 1

blaine78

This is the second time I've installed windows sp1 for 7 64. each time i've installed it, same experience. the sound is tight and uncomfortable to listen to. Soon as I uninstall it, sound is back to being free and emotional. decided, windows 7 SP1 is not worth it for me and my system. anyone with similar experiences?

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

• 1 month later...

like to update this. SP1 is now working very very well with my setup. it's now sounding better than without SP1. it was a power filter issue that wasn't complimenting SP1. power filter has been removed.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

I will try Windows 7 x64 SP1 now. Can you explain the power filter issue a little more? I am just so busy ripping 2000 CDs. I have ripped over 1000 now and still going just like the energizer bunny.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Was using a belkin mains power board with EMI filtering. A power filter can sometimes cause a system to loose dynamics and and sound a bit woolly in the bass and lack energy. When i was using windows 7 without SP1, it sounded fine with the power filter because pre SP1 sounded edgier and power filter calmed it down a bit. But SP1 sounds much smoother and less 'gritty' so with the power filter it was way too much. removing the power filter brought back the missing dynamics to SP1. all in all, sp1 does sound better and smoother. Hope that makes sense?

From what little listening I have done since installing Windows SP1 today I concur it does sound better. It could be the new cable breaking in but I think the big jump is SP1.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

I am starting to see lock ups now that I have applied Windows 7 service pack 1 and I have crossed the 10,000 file mark. I play a song and I get buffering and nothing. Then I get the dreaded Microsoft popup window saying MC 15 not responding. I don’t get it all the time but I have had it each day now since I applied SP1. It may not be related but I thought I would report back.

ah that's no good. I have no issues here, but i'm using J River MC16 beta, all is running smoothly

Well I have crossed the 11,000 file mark guess it is a time for rest. I will try loading MC 16 tomorrow. I need to pull the motherboard and install a new heat pipe heatsink.

I'm at 25,000 wav audio file mark alone.