IGNORED

Shipping to UK

Hi, I’m in UK and wondered if anyone has purchased from the Allo website recently and had to pay any VAT/import fees?

I’ve had a look and it’s not clear where the ‘EU’ items on the store come from. I’ve emailed the site but no response :-(

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi 

If it helps: I'm in Ireland (the Republic of) and I ordered mine last week (€28 shipping, tracked) and I got it delivered today (yooo-hooo!)

I still have the box right here and the shipping label on it has the sender in Chemin du Château de Lacalm, Roquecourbe, France.

So if they'll ship it to you in UK from the same place then you'll probably have to pay at least VAT (thanks to Brexit), maybe also Customs fees (I don't know the rules for UK). I'm sure you can find the UK rules for goods shipped from France.

HTH,

Dan

Thanks Dan, good too know. Hope you’re happy with your purchase. 

In the end I managed to purchase an Acrylic Boss2 which I’m quite impressed with from a UK seller. 

Bit of a shame the shop doesn’t make it clear, brexit makes it more difficult sadly yes. 

Alex

Thanks, I just managed to spin it up using Volumio. So far so good (although it's definitely DIY and not a finished appliance) but I can't say that I am hearing any improvement while streaming music through it rather than through the built-in streaming function of my AVR receiver (Denon). It might be a limitation of the music source (although I went for CD quality RP FLAC), receiver (because its THD of 0.08% is much higher than the one for Boss2 at 0.0002%), speakers (budget Polk monitors), room acoustics (very reflective and completely untreated) or my own ears (as I have quite some years). More toying around with it is needed for sure, we'll see. I am somewhat afraid I won't have enough time for this though. Or that it would lead to some very expensive subsequent purchases in the search for that elusive improvement!

I'm just curious, when you wrote "Boss2 which I’m quite impressed with", would you mind describing a bit more what impressed you?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, I’ve been using a raspberry pi and squeezelite for some time. The arrival of the BOSS meant I can remove the cheap USB DAC and RPi 3 and replace it with 4. I like the overall physical package with a much sturdier case and the screen is a nice addition. I dabbled with Volumio but it wasn’t for me. 

So for me, I’m impressed with it; I think the sound quality is great but I haven’t got any time to do any serious listening and won’t be for the foreseeable due to having a young family. I use a pair of powered KEFs which I really like. 

I’ve read reviews of the DAC and they seemed favourable and actually the acrylic version seemed good value from The Pi Hut.  

Hope that answers your question, if not perhaps make another topic?