IGNORED

Article: How To Decode and Play Dolby TrueHD Atmos on Windows and macOS

Find this very interesting.  There is probably a way to get two dacs to run on a Windows 10 Box.  ASR had a thread a while back on this.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-use-2-dacs-on-1-windows-10-pc-with-separate-peq-profiles.20935/

My interest in this would be along the lines of using my Windows set up to play Atmos movies from the streaming services--Netflix, Vudu, and HBO.  Will the Dolby Reference Player running on Windows 10 accept streaming input from these services (yes, I know they're DD+ and not Dolby True HD) and how do I set that up?

So there are no renderers able to decode Atmos streaming content (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, Vudu, HBO Max) on either a Windows or Mac.  For the record, Netflix does indeed offer Atmos content on its Windows desktop app

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1518160755#:~:text=Besides Xbox One and LG,app%2C the company has confirmed.

So I know Netflix Windows desktop does indeed output Windows content, JRiver can indeed process far in excess of 8 channels, mixing programs like Voicemeter can route to two discrete DACS.  Seems like the only missing piece is a renderer to take the bitstream and output PCM.  No options in either Windows or Apple for Atmos streaming?

I guess "in system level" means you can hook up headphones or a sound bar directly to the computer, and hear ATMOS that way, but you can't send it via USB to a DAC?

The app on your TV will stream Atmos via HDMI to an ATMOS AV receiver, or control center, but not to a USB DAC like an Octo 8, or a Motu Ultralite 5.  

I'm not at all familiar with Merging Anubis.  Seems like it goes even deeper down this rabbit hole than I'm currently inclined to go.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bbosler said:

just FYI, the current M1 will not output anything but 48K through the HDMI port which I found out after buying one... sent it back.

I know not the focus of this thread, and for Atmos looks like the 48K limit is not a  problem, but in case you were thinking about the possibility of interfacing it with a processor like mine that accepts HDMI input and want to use higher rates like I do

Agree with advice to get the 16GB ram version. If you go to the Apple site and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to the refurbished site where you might find what you want for a bit of a discount

If and when I get one the way I would use it would be to stream ATMOS streaming service material (no ripped Blue Rays), use JRiver and whatever other software packages are needed to output HDMI video (Preferably Dolby Vision or HDR 10) via HDMI 2.1 to my LG C1, and output fully rendered ATMOS DD+ audio via usb to an OCTO Dac 8, and the DAC on my Motu M4 hopefully perfect lip synched withtthe video and synched with each other.  

I think it might be doable, I already have the DACs, enough speakers for a 5.1.4 layout.  I would just need a couple of cheap amps for the overheads (thinking Aiyima A07's), and some poles to get them in the air (couresy of K&M), and, of course, the MAC Mini and the software to make it work.  Oh, did I mention I'd also want to run my multichannel Dirac Live which can go up to 16 discrete channels of correction as a VST plug in?

The vision is to have something that looks like this, only with KEF speakers.

If I can't get this to work digitally with software, I do have an A16 Realizer which will output up to 16 channels of  rendered Atmos, DTS-x, and/ or Auro 3D.  However, it does not even have provision for adjusting individual speaker loudness.  I could take care of that probably by using some kind of mixing board.  (Behringer sells one for around $300), but I would miss out on the DSP Dirac Live provides, and I would probably still want to use my higher fidelity 5.1 home theater coming off the PC into the OCTO, so I would probably need extensive switching to adjust whether the output to the amps came from the Realizer/Behringer or the OCTO.

qL885Zo.jpg

3 hours ago, bbosler said:

Capture.JPG

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

just FYI, the current M1 will not output anything but 48K through the HDMI port which I found out after buying one... sent it back.

I know not the focus of this thread, and for Atmos looks like the 48K limit is not a  problem, but in case you were thinking about the possibility of interfacing it with a processor like mine that accepts HDMI input and want to use higher rates like I do

Agree with advice to get the 16GB ram version. If you go to the Apple site and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to the refurbished site where you might find what you want for a bit of a discount

If and when I get one the way I would use it would be to stream ATMOS streaming service material (no ripped Blue Rays), use JRiver and whatever other software packages are needed to output HDMI video (Preferably Dolby Vision or HDR 10) via HDMI 2.1 to my LG C1, and output fully rendered ATMOS DD+ audio via usb to and OCTO Dac 8, and the DAC on my Motu M4 hopefully perfect lip synched witht the video and synched with each other.  

I think it might be doable, I already have the DACs, enough speakers for a 5.1.4 layout.  I would just need a couple of cheap amps for the overheads (thinking Aiyima A07's), and some poles to get them in the air (couresy of K&M), and, of course, the MAC Mini and the software to make it work.  Oh, did I mention I'd also want to run my multichannel Dirac Live which can go up to 16 discrete channels of correction as a VST plug in?

The vision is to have something that looks like this, only with KEF speakers.

qL885Zo.jpg

Yeah, but they're charging for everything.  Probably wouln't take my unit back and want me to just buy a Pro.  Haven't even checked out the price, but ouch from the last time.  Yeah, they should have offered it from the get go.  Nobody would have wanted their DAC/Amps for either speakers or headphone, I think, if they did.

In all fairness, what it does well, it does superbly.  I have a custom, bespoke 24 channel PRIR of the Dutch & Dutch 8C's which I sat for in the studio where John made those universal D&D Prir's everyone who owns an A16 isn so fond of.  Along with John and one other person, the three of us have t

he unicorn.

Anyway, given I already have so many of the components, I think I could do this for around $1500, so either way it seems like a no-brainer, but still probably next years big project.

Capture.JPG

On 4/25/2022 at 2:50 PM, retro said:

3 hours ago, retro said:

So, current status on Atmos audio+video in JRiver is that it works on Linux and Mac-versions.

So I'm in trouble now. Actually thinking of adding another HTPC to the system, this time a Linux or..hmm..ok then..a Mac..

Sad day..😭

When you consider reconditioned Mac Mini M1's with 8/256 are going for around $525, I would to cry too much.  Based on what I finding out, just a stupid good value.

So am I understanding this correctly?

From a Mac Mini a video stream could run like this:  ATV+/Netflix===>M1 Sierra Nevada OS Video Renderer ===> HDMI Dolby Vision Video stream====>Dolby Vision Video capable 4k monitor (Lg C1)

Audio stream :  ATV+/Netflix====>Sierra Nevada OS Audio Decoder===>16 Channel DD+ Dolby Atmos Audio====>Audio DSP Management Program (JRiver for PEQ, Bass Management, High Low Pass for sub and mains, 16 Channel Dirac Live)====>Digital Routing Software (Black Hole or Voicemeter Banana) Directing 8 LPCM channels to one DAC & 8 LPCM channels to different DAC====2 USB outlets===>2 USB LPCM streams (8 channels ea) to each respective DAC

Is this set up possible and does the Apple OS provide for a decoded Atmos multichannel LPCM stream that can then be manipulated with DSP and routed via USB to external dacs, or is this piece of software unavailable currently?

And while JRiver is at it, how about the capability of decoding ATMOS DD+ streams from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, Vudu, et all.  I would not at all mind paying for this as an add-on to defray any licensing fees it may cost JRiver.  I don't want a freaking Atmos AV receiver, I just want to receive an atmos stream on my Windows box and send it to my multi channel DACS after using JRiver to run bass management, PEQ, and multichannel Dirac live.  I already have the DACS and the speakers, just need something with a "brain" to tell them what to do.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, bbosler said:

I think you nailed it.... 

It will take a tremendous amount of DSP to create all of the timing cues for 2 drivers that  our brain uses from 11 speakers to locate objects in space. Even if it can be done, hard to imagine this amount of processing won't have unintended consequences

I suggest you take the easy route. Buy > $100K worth of amps, speakers, cables, and processors to do it properly . 😉

Or buy a Smyth A16 Realizer and get an in person PRIR done in a studio by someone who know what they're doing.

10 minutes ago, austinpop said:

PRIR?

Google returns:

• Puerto Rico Immunization Registry
  • Pacific Region Industrial Relations
  • Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
  • Primitive Irish.

I'm guessing none of the above? 😂

To quote the Smyth Research site:

"The best and easiest solution ... is to personalise the playback of the sounds through the headphones so that they recreate how our own ears hear each sound. We do this by measuring how sound propagates from an external source to each ear, and use this to create digital filters that mimic the normal analogue filtering action of each ear. During this measurement process we also determine the distance apart of the ears, and measure the acoustic impact (or reverberation) of the environment on what we hear.

The overall result is a personalised room impulse response (PRIR) that contains all the information needed to accurately recreate how an individual hears an external sound through their own ears. In combination with low-latency head-tracking personalisation ensures that the listener cannot tell whether the sounds through the headphones are real or virtual."

So a PRIR (a Personalized Room Impulse Response) measures how the transfer function of the room and your own anatomy (head shape and size, external ear, etc) alters a given digital signal before it comes to your ear canal as sound waves.  It then applies that measured transfer function to the output of your headphones to duplicate what you personally would have heard from speakers playing in the room where you were listening to them.

• 1 year later...