IGNORED

USB Noise - Periodic & Consistant

Hi everyone,

This is a weird one.

The sound from this Desktop PC was fine until I did this:

A clean install of Windows 10 Pro. It used to be Windows 7 Pro.

Left it unused, not plugged in for a year.

Cleaned out dust with a can of air duster.

Attempted to install a new processor which involved flashing the BIOS. However I could not get it to work so reinstalled the original processor. I left it with the Updated BIOS.

Increased RAM to 64GB from 32GB. All new sticks.

I tested the sound via USB and a Steinberg UR22mkII Interface and got a periodic noise. It seems to be every 50sec and lasts for about 3sec. I timed it and it occurred at 50 sec, 1min 40sec, 2min 30sec, and 3min 20sec, so very consistent. It is an annoying shrill that can not be missed. I checked it with a Frequency Analyzer (FFT Plot) and could see it is definitely across the 10kHz to 18kHz range, possibly at lower frequencies as well.

If I use a laptop streaming the exact same song from YouTube the problem, does not occur. I have tried 3 times and confident it is a problem with the Desktop PC.

I have tried the following with no success:

Played a CD instead of Steaming

Disconnect Wi-Fi antenna

Replaced original RAM

Disconnected all HDD

Disconnected front USB card

Disconnect power from rear USB card

Tried different USB ports on motherboard

Reduced RAM speed in BIOS

Fixed CPU speed in BIOS, not Auto.

Changed overclocking to manual in BIOS, not Auto.

I'm now thinking that something has gone wrong with the Motherboard or Power supply. I looked at the PSU voltages in BIOS and they seem pretty consistent, not erratic.

I could get a USB filter, Intona 7055-C and see if that fixes it. But the problem wasn't there a year ago and even if it fixes things on playback I will be worried if I am recording with Protools that noise will get introduced to the recording.

I could also try using ASIO but this is where I'm out of my league. I have also read that kernel streaming is better anyway.

Has anyone got any ideas on this one? I would rather find the culprit than attempt to filter it out. This machine is going to be mainly used for Protools.

Thanks