IGNORED

Your thoughts, please, on PC audio system I'm planning.

Vincent3

Question

Hi, everybody!  I've been away from the forum for several years.  Until a year ago, I was enjoying my basic desktop system with a Xonar STX-II, Audio-Technica MSR7, and FLAC files.  I was then bitten by the turntable bug, which led to a rekindling of my desire to realize the traditional component system I had wanted since I was a teenager.  Coincidentally, I was given my father's Pioneer turntable when the component system was most heavily on my mind, so I made the leap.  I now have a receiver, the turntable, a CD player, passive speakers, and shelf filled with CDs and LPs.  It was fun for a while, but the space usage is increasingly hard to justify.  With a small form factor PC and powered speakers, I can free up most of that space and have a system that's just as fulfilling.

I was considering a Raspberry Pi, but I think an M-ITX system would better fit my needs.  I can use my Xonar STX-II, M-ITX motherboard, light-duty CPU, and optical drive.  I have Edifier R1280DB speakers - which I think sound better than my receiver and 5" passive speakers - and might soon upgrade them to more capable active speakers.  I'll run a light Linux distro.  The PC will be strictly for hi-fi and maybe YouTube viewing, so I'll keep the software and hardware tailored to that.  For audio, I'll be listening mostly to ripped FLAC files from my CDs and to internet radio.  I think the turntable will go into storage, so my media will be digital only.  I might consider a streaming service at some point, but still like having the CD of my preferred mastering in storage.  I might eventually pair that down to something like my top few hundred albums, then go with streaming for everything else.  I'm not there yet, though.

Some questions:

What are your thoughts about the Edifier R1280DB for a bedroom speaker?  I know they aren't the last word, but I think they sound great for a $130 pair of 4-inch speakers.  Again, I plan to upgrade soon.  I was considering the R1280DBs and the T5 subwoofer.  However, I read that the 1280 doesn't have a proper crossover and that the 4-inch driver does nearly all the work.  If that's the case, I'd rather go with something that makes better use of its hardware.

For input, I'm thinking about a minimal Bluetooth keyboard with an integrated trackball or touchpad.  I would mind having a touchscreen input tablet, but haven't seen anything like that.  Any other options I might be missing?  I don't want anything voice controlled.

For the display, I'll mount on the wall a screen a little under 30 inches (again, YouTube viewing too).  I'm not sure if it matters whether I go with a PC monitor or a TV.  I'm thinking TVs might be better for distance viewing, but am not sure.  Do you think there's much of a difference?

Looking forward, are there any upgrade paths I should keep in mind?  I know that's a broad question.  I guess I'm asking if there are upgrade paths that are popular for people who start out with a system like the one I'm planning.

Thanks!

1 answer to this question