IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

On 7/31/2022 at 7:34 AM, Riccitone said:

Just got my Mercury...

But trying I2S connection is not playing anything. I am getting the typical sign (bit rate display) screen change when I hit play to indicate that it's receiving data , just no sound.

Just saw this. Maybe you got it fixed but in case you didn't please check post 101 in the link below.

Pi 2 Design - How do I get started? | Page 6 | Super Best Audio Friends

13 hours ago, Riccitone said:

@Navin

Regardless, very kind of you to reach out and help! I appreciate it. Really good to have a community like this to get the best out of our experience and share ideas 🙏🏼😊

Hmm... so the Pi2AES board is compatible with the D70s but the Version 1 of the Mercury Streamer is not natively compatible (requires a specially configured cable)?

12 hours ago, chrisd552 said:

I think you can wire it without much trouble at all. Its 4 pins I think. And a common problem is there is no cabling standard for I2S (I think the Mercury uses the PS Audio mapping). :)

I think Holo, Gustard and PS Audio use the same mapping and hence the Mercury V1 is natively compatible with those that adhere to this layout. 

The Pi2AES board however does not suffer so. 

On 2/20/2022 at 10:14 AM, bobfa said:

The Pi2AES is a simple SD card swap, and the K50 is a set of software switches.

Just saw this thread. I am a bit confused. Do you mean the Mercury?  From what I understand the Pi2AES is a transport card designed for the Raspberry Pi. 

On 1/13/2022 at 11:13 PM, chauphuong said:

Thanks. In fact you can replace Pi3 compute module on Usbridge Sig with Pi4 module. I use Roon, Minimserver and Jplay Femto Server so local storage would make little sense.

As per what I remember, Allo had stated that there should be no advantage in using CM4 over the CM3+ version used in the USBridge Signature. 

At least when used with the RPi4, the CM4 equipped RPi4 has higher power consumption and slightly noisier than a CM3+ equipped RPi3B+ (via USB output).  The stock USBridge Signature works at 384Khz on i2s and DSD 512 via USB. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, chipvn said:

I'm afraid that I could not agree on this assumption.

The CM4 running on USBridge Sig is obviously much more powerful than the original CM3+.

I didn't know the CM4 board could replace the CM3+ in the USBridge. To me they look so different with different connectors. I don't know much, I just relayed what Allo said when asked about when they are upgrading the USBridge from CM3+ to CM4. I didn't know there was a "CM4 modified solution". How complicated is this? Can a newbie like me do it (I have the USBridge). 

These are the CM4 and CM3+ boards I know of. Are there others? 

Buy a Compute Module 4 – Raspberry Pi

Buy a Compute Module 3+ – Raspberry Pi

The Pi2Design boxes are perfect for anyone who wants/needs I2S / AES. For everyone else there are products like the Arylic S50 Pro+, iFi Zen Stream, or Yamaha WXC or the upcoming WiiM Pro or Andover Songbird HR.

24 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

If you only need USB output, you only need a Raspberry Pi 3 or Pi 4, and you have many choices for kits. The Mercury was created to provide high quality i2S/SPDIF outputs. It is the only reason for the Mercury to exist.

At $150 the WiiM Pro would be hard to beat when it comes to value for money. It has SPDIF (Coax / Toslink) too. For that matter so do the Arylic S50 Pro+, iFi Zen Stream, Yamaha WXC and Andover Songbird HR all offer SPDIF (Coax and Toslink). 

1 hour ago, chipvn said:

That's why there is product like the USBridge Sig (with just USB output) which has zero DC to DC switching power conversion on board.

What if we use a Pi2AES transport board with a USBridge Signature? Is there any advantage of using a USBridge over an RPi board? Thanks. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, orange5o said:

Have the pl50 from fiio also, it is very good. Will say however they strongly suggest turning off the lps when not in use I.e. not leaving on all the time

What are you powering with the PL50? Are you using the PL50 to power the Pi2AES HAT for the RPi? 

Micheal had recommended a Meanwell Power Supply. Would the PL50 be a step up?

Thanks. 

16 hours ago, orange5o said:

Was powering the Mercury, now I'm using it for my phono pre. Yes it is a step up, it's a linear power supply and good value. I changed from mercury to the pi2aes 2.0 so needed to find another use for it. 

Thanks.

Can the PL50 be used instead of the Meanwell 24V @ 1.67A supply to power the original Pi2AES Sheild board? There is a version 2 out now, but I have the original one that sold for $150 each. I added links below so we are on the same page. 

PI2AES - PRO AUDIO SHIELD - Pi2 Design

Dummies Guide to Pi2AES! Throw away your PC or laptop. | Page 71 | Super Best Audio Friends