IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

4 hours ago, Riccitone said:

In the case of my dac…

Contacted Michael.  My dac (Topping D70s) does not have an option for the pinout for the Mercury. He explained it was non standard. Which is a bit confusing, as I was under the impression that pinout config wasn’t exactly standardized? Maybe not standard for PS Audio pinout. 

I asked if he was planning on a v2 that options silent pinout settings, didn’t answer thot one (yet). 

Not a dealbreaker, sounds amazing via coax as it is, just that I had plans to use I2s for streaming and storage, and coax for a cd transport etc. etc. Eould also be nice to hear the difference. 

So…

If any/all of you wouldn’t mind listing specific dacs you know will work -as is it with limited adjustment- with the I2s out of the Mercury? That would be really great. For future reference 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

PS 

Michael was adamant about making sure to stick with the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro dac setting I Volumio. Might want to stick with it. 

My Musician Audio Pegasus worked out of the gate with I2S. So many recordings sound so much better. I am not so compelled to seek out just my favorite audiophile recordings. Instead I have had so much fun exploring with Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/My Library. So much now sounds so good.

14 hours ago, Riccitone said:

That’s wonderful to know…

Im already getting that same result with pretty well everything I call up on Qobuz via Volumio premium. Even with what I’ve stored on a silly usb drive is more engaging that I’d ever imagined. 

Ive eyeballed the Pegasus on many occasions, had settled on the D70s - which sounds REALLY great. But Pegasus seems a total winner for the $. 
Are you using xlr output or rca? Any noticeable differences there? Just asking as I’m trying to decide between preamps with balanced or single ended inputs 🙏🏼

My preamp is an oldie but goodie, Ayre K3. I’ve only used balanced xlr for my DAC and turntable. I don’t want to hijack this thread on a preamp discussion though.