IGNORED

Need Help Choosing Apple Music Server

mact3333

I am just putting together my computer audiophile system...will start off mid-fi to start.

My question is this, I was going to use an old unused laptop ibook G4 as my digital source with itunes thinking there wouldnt be much difference between it and say a Mac Mini(have an extra one of these that is 5 yrs old).

I played the same song from my G4 laptop using earbuds and compared to my iphone 4 and couldnt believe the difference...listening to the G4 laptop using itunes sounded like am radio!...lossless and lossy music both...sounded very very muffled and there was no bass.

Can the DAC in the iphone be that much better when compared to this older laptop DAC???

I have the Music Fidelity asynch USB-SPDIF on order and have the MF VDAC for now.

So main question is this, once I get my asynch USB-SPDIF and DAC set up, will the digital source(G4 laptop) matter much given I am bypassing the internal DAC or will I truly need to update to a Mac Mini???...seems like many on here have had very good results using a Macbook pro.

Also, on a side note, I am seriously thinking of returning my MF VDAC and asynch USB-SPDIF(cancelling this order) and just buying the dB audio labs Tranquility DAC and cable...thoughts?...tia.

mac mini/pure music, MF VLINK, PS DL III DAC, Pass X1, Pass X250, ML CLS I

think you are right...just listened to itunes using my macbook air and it sounded decent...and even through earbuds I can hear the difference between lossy and lossless files(same song)....can only imagine the difference once I get it hooked up to home audio equipment.

kinda sad I have an imac, mac mini, macbook, ibookG4 and macbook air and ipad, 4 ipods, 2 iphones...Apple should give me discounts!...:).

I am hoping the G4 DAC or analog out is the prob and hope it doesnt alter digital out using USB...otherwise will prob have to pony up for another mac mini to use as dedicated music server.

mac mini/pure music, MF VLINK, PS DL III DAC, Pass X1, Pass X250, ML CLS I