I would think that unless you have built your listening room and home electrical system from new using all the best techniques then a power conditioner could offer a few benefits. I have given up trying to use them between Amps and the wall but for Front-End components which draw very little power they seem to make a difference for the better. This assumes one us using a good power conditioner of course.

The other side effect/benefit of a Power conditioner is that you usually also gain some small form of surge protection out of the deal. But I take surge protection with a grain of salt. Ideally this should also be done way back at the breaker box also though. I suspect most big surge events comes from the power company end and less often from a lightning strike so if you have a surge protection device at the breaker the "hope" is that it will take the brunt of the hit and then when whatever remains from the surge finds its way to your audio gear the power conditioner might have a better chance of shrugging it off...maybe.

Good power conditioners aren't cheap and buying a Home Depot power strip will likely not be doing you any favors either so IMO one of the best places to "Try before you buy" would be from The Cable Co. They offer some good brands to pick from with in home trials and full return policies (Last time I used them at least).