IGNORED

Better in low-fi?

I just had an unexpected realization.

I downloaded some classic rock (Eagles) at Rhino. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with these Redbook quality downloads, that seems to be the, er, "problem".

In listening to it, something seemed "off". After about three tracks I realized what was "wrong". I've never heard this stuff with a good source and good equipment before. It seemed too "clean"?

Seems I am missing that old familiar distortion that was part of these tracks when I got so familiar with them nearly 40 years ago. Back then I would have been listening to them on a crappy turntable with a $10 "cartridge", or transcribed onto cheap cassette tape from same. Strange as it may seem, the distortion and grit from those old stereo systems seems indelibly part of what makes these tracks "who they are".

Is this a common occurrence for audiophile newbies?

New guy here - old guy elsewhere...Mac Mini - BitPerfect - USB - Schiit Bifrost DAC - shit cable - Musical Fidelity A3.5 - home-brew speakers designed to prioritize phase and time response (Accuton ceramic dome drivers and first-order crossovers) and a very cheaply but well corrected room...old head, old ears, conventionally connected to an old brain with outdated software.

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain