IGNORED

Oggo´s power supply shoot-out (using the example of an Uptone EtherRegen)

4 minutes ago, Qstik said:

No, I'm not.  Should I?

The iPower is an ungrounded supply (just 2 pins to the wall). If you are using more than one of the EtherREGEN's 'A' side RJ45 ports then it would be advisable to utilize the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN. All those ports have the center-taps of their transformers (an usually-high 12 cores per port) tied to the ground plane--to shunt to ground high-source-impedance leakage (traveling in on the Ethernet cables from other gear). But it needs a path to earth ground.  This is to minimize port-to-port leakage interaction.

The UpTone-branded 36W AC>DC adapter that came with your EtherREGEN (same at the one used as "energizing"/charging supply for UltraCap LPS-1.2) is internally "ground-shunted"--meaning the outer barrel of its DC output cable is common to its AC IEC input ground pin--so as long as you are plugging it into an earth-grounded AC outlet the grounding of the 'A' side is taken care of and there is no need to use the Ground screw.  

But for floated output supplies (your iPower, our UltraCap units, and many other 3rd-party linear supplies) it is a consideration. 

Again, this is only if you are utilizing more than one of the 'A' side ports. Nothing makes it across the EtherREGEN's active-differential-isolation moat to the 'B' port.

BTW, all the above is covered on page 8 of the EtherREGEN User Guide:D

P.S. The iFi iPower SMPS units are known to have exceedingly high leakage (that's AC currents traveling over DC connection; more than any other SMPS we have measured), so the above is especially relevant if you are using that brand to power your EtherREGEN.

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

That does not appear to agree with the advice from @JohnSwenson?

What I said is not in conflict with what John wrote.  No leakage currents make it across the differential isolators of our A>B "moat" so even if leakage currents come into the EtherREGEN via the one in-use RJ45--or from a high-leakage SMPS--they are not going to make it across to the moat to the 'B' port (where whatever is the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint or Ethernet-input-equipped DAC is connected).

Now I suppose that someone could be concerned about leakage-current interaction on the 'A' side--between the SMPS and the 'A' side's network feed--but I'm not sure that such would be audible.  Still, there is no harm in utilizing the Ground screw if in doubt.  

[But as mentioned, if the internally-ground-shunted UpTone-branded AC>DC adapter brick is used, it is already taking care of the earth grounding.]