IGNORED

First music server - is my spec rubbish?

TimF

On 8/17/2021 at 2:09 AM, TimF said:

Getting there after a lot more reading! thanks all for your patience and current answers.... A few questions. I've tried to split these out so they're not too hard to read.

CPU and motherboard

• Looking at CPU's the one I looked at is probably too high power consumption for passive cooling. I see the main ones are 3700X AMD and 9900K Intel. Others are the 10900K and 3950x. I am unclear whether new architecture is worth it due to cooling issues and potential underclocking requirements to run these.
  • Asus Motherboard Intel Z590, ROG Strix Z590-E seems better than the older Z490 due to M2 memory interface with the processor only applicable to newer 10900K chip.
  • Summary: Seems as if the older chips are ok given price versus performance?

USB

• JCAT USB Femto that I own seems like a big downgrade on the newer card and should be changed?

POWER

• HDPLEX 500W ATX external Linear Power Supply that I own is ok but not great - I may start out with this just to try it
  • Taiko ATX and unregulated PSU make sense but who can build the unregulated PSUs (UK?)
  • To power the 5v Network and 5v USB cards seems as if I need another decent external power supply, is this correct or can the Taiko handle this well?
  • If I can't get an unregulated PSU would it be madness to use the HDPLEX to power its DC input then use the two 5v feeds for the network and USB cards???

Thanks, Tim

1. Go Intel CPU if you wish to use upsampling esp using HQPlayer 

2. I had the Hdplex 400 ATX LPSU - older version. It was wimpy! I stuck with ATX PSU's and now use extensive PCIE power filtering.

3. Taiko ATX and unregulated PSU - budget starting at 4000USD and climbing higher with more esoteric wires/capacitors etc. I dont have that kind of budget. 

4. There are LT3045's psu's that can output 5V from 1 to 5 amps from different makers. Powering your SSD's and USB card with outboard LPSU or a rail from super LPSU like Paul Hynes or Sean Jacobs is a more expensive high end way of doing the same thing

5. There are many accounts of Keces P8's powering the Hdplex 800watt DC-DC ATX PSU. But for oversampling more current and power is in my humble opinion better sounding for my musical tastes. 

At the end of the day, it is always the budget constraint that limits how far upgrades can go.

A Taiko top of the line server is just 25000USD or more. NO need to worry about all of the bits and pieces of kit and wires, and OS's etc.

Happy Listening