IGNORED

Source insensitivity as opposed to "perfect" immunity

On 4/22/2021 at 1:41 AM, fas42 said:

The unfortunate problem is that it turns out to be very, very difficult to get a system into a zone where what is happening in the digital areas of the circuitry doesn't impact the audible presentation. And this in fact gets worse, the closer one gets to 100% accuracy of the chain, in the electronics. Subjectively, this can mean a winner, or a loser, as far as listening satisfaction goes - it's that finely balanced, on the "razor's edge".

Hi, 

I really don't think you can make these kind of statements without having heard what sound can be obtained from a DAC that is effectively noise-free and jitter-free. In my opinion, its a game changer, there are absolutely no drawbacks, and no going back either. Obviously, I have not heard all DACs either. 

I don't want to get into controversial debates about any of this, I just hope some people will be curious enough to try the DAC I reviewed and see for themselves. 

38 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I’m curious enough to try. 9_9
But neither your preview review nor EC Designs website mention price or availability.

Their site seems to imply that the remote will only come with the -S version.

3dB level steps are really rather course, and 1.4V max RMS output may fall short for many amp/speaker combinations.

Sorry, I posted the price and availability in the ECDesigns thread (between 1100-1200 excluding VAT - 20% in Europe, availability in a couple months). The remote is available with the -R version as an option. I agree that 3db steps are a little course, 1.4v is for the R version which requires a power amplifier. 10 steps means that if you use the PowerDAC with an external amp that is too powerful you may end up with a very small "useable" range in the volume control. So that's why they recommend, in that case, to use an attenuator. I've tried several setups (with/without external preamp). I don't really plan on using the powerDAC direct to a power amplifier as I would like to have an extra input for my turntable. So preamps may still have benefits, even if you use them at a fixed output, and control the volume with the PowerDAC's remote (if you see what I mean).

I really think its best to wait and see when the product is launched what others have to say about it. 

22 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Any idea what they will be charging for their remote and the USB>TOSLINK converter?

No idea...but i would assume they'll both be pretty cheap. The usb-toslink is basic -   in line with the idea that the jitter is no longer an issue. I use my NUC's Toslink out. Can't get worse than that 🙂

I look forward to reading other people's feeback and tests. 

Yes, best to wait and see. My review was primarily intended for existing ECD customers, and I don't want to get involved with comparisons to other DACs (even when I have heard them). I'm happy with the sound I get and the simplifications it offers. We'll see in a few months whether others confirm and anything can be learned from what ECD has done.