IGNORED

Pure Music or Windows Hi-Res player?

w3explorer

Hi,

I recently upgraded my DAC to one capable of playing up to 192/24 without upsampling. I've been using an Apple TV with uncompressed AIFF files to play music.

I want to upgrade hardware/software to something that will play up to 192/24. I'm considering two options:

1. Mac Mini with Channel D's Pure Music (running Snow Leopard)

2. Acer Revo with foobar (running Windows 7)

I've heard Pure Music on a friends stereo and it sounds great. I don't really have any experience with Windows based players except for iTunes.

Would someone recommend a few hi-res Windows players? I'd be expecially interested in anyone with Pure Music experience and comparisons to Windows players.

Thanks In Advance,

Dan

I'm running Pure Music on my Mac and HQplayer on my Win7 setup. Both sound much better compared to Itunes or vanilla Foobar/VLC.

My only 'gripe' is the different formats required for each. E.g. HQplayer only does FLAC/WAV/... but can do DSD, while PM does ALAC, m4a (and FLAC with some sleight of hand).

Then there's still Amarra, AyreWave.....

I think it depends a lot on your DAC/Spdif converters, cables.... etc.

YMMV - Let your ears do the talking.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

Thanks JG.

My DAC is a Bryston BDA-1. I will be connecting whaterver player I end up with using a John Kenny modified MK1 Hiface and an Oyaide DB-510 cable.

The PC option is quite a bit cheaper than any MAC option (which is a factor). But I'm really after what sounds best. But, at least initially, something like Amarra is off the table because of cost.

You've given me a couple products to investigate.

Given what I said about my hardware, does that change your comments?

Thanks!

Dan

You can either way with your setup Dan. Do you have any preference for formats (or a current library with FLAC or ALAC)?

Also depends on your software preference- are you comfortable for example with Mac OsX, or the limited library functions of some players (e.g. HQplayer) compared to say, Itunes?

Also - you can always look at buying a pre-owned Mac Mini or Macbook off Craigslist/Ebay or Apple refurb. This would bring the cost closer to a good PC setup.

Both HQplayer and Pure Music offers trial versions - so you can experiment at leisure.

PS Audio DirectStream DSD Bridge -> Classe CA-2200 - >B&W 803-D2, Nordost Tyr cabled. Synology NAS, MinimServer, BubbleDS.

May I ask, how are you connecting your PC/MAC to your DAC? And do you know anything about compatibility of any of the players with the JK MK1 HiFace?

I really have NO experience with Mac, but a friend does and is running PM on it through a TosLink to his DAC. Sounds very nice. I'm willing to go that route because I've heard it and I know it compatible with the Hiface.

I've been using uncompressed AIFF ripped with dbPowerAmp. What do you use to rip with?

Also, never tried FLAC. Didn't even know about ALAC until you mentioned it. Is ALAC an Apple version of FLAC?

Dan

Hello,

A friend of mine is quite happy with Mediamonkey and uses the Winamp kernel streaming plugin to send redbook and higher resolution FLAC to his M2Tech hiFace. This is certainly worth a shot since it won't cost you anything. Just copy the driver *.dll file to the "Plugins" directory in the Mediamonkey installation and then configure it under "Tools -> Options... -> Output Plug-ins".

Mediamonkey is not the most attractive player, but it has a pretty good search feature, which I use a lot when adding tracks to the play queue. Listening to Kind of Blue now via the ASIO plug-in.

Hope this helps.

-- David

I notice there is a new unwrapped mac mini for sale on the Pink Fish Media hifi forum if it might be relevant. I have no connection with the seller BTW!

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92857&highlight=mini

2010 Mac Mini 4Gb Firewired to Weiss DAC202, Drobo FS, Viva Solista 845/TAPX Pre or Tron Nucleus pre or Paul Hynes/Pre/Croft Twinstar 4/5 or GC modded Leak 20 s, LothX Polaris, TDL Monitor tmls, Music Player still completely unsure and perplexed.

Thanks David.

I finally got around to e-mail John Kenny about his modified Hiface. He responsded with:

"Any software music player will work with the Hiface. My modified Hiface doesn't change this so any player that works with the stcok Hiface works with the modified Hiface. It can use DS, ASIO, KS or Wasabi outputs!"

Dan