IGNORED

Advice on how to best set up digital music to play through stereo

DLA123

Hi, first time poster here. I want to set up my music archive so that I can access it and play music files via my Samsung LCD TV screen and browse/select with a remote.

My music is in FLAC and ALAC format. The flow will look like this:

Music source > MusicHall 25.3 DAC > Rega Mira Amp > Rega RS5 speakers.

Ideally I'd like to store all of the music on a NAS which could plug into the DAC and also into the TV so that I could access the files on the NAS via the TV/Remote.

I guess that is my main question. Is that possible? If so, can you guys recommend a NAS that you like.

I also have considered streaming the music through an Xbox360 or going NAS> Xbox360 >DAC, but I'm not sure if there would be a loss in sound quality or if this is optimal? Any opnions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

HiFi: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > UltraRendu > Schitt Eitr > MusicHall 25.3 DAC > Rega Mira3 Amp > Rega RS5 Floorstanders.  

Whole-house Audio: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > Windows 7 form-factor PC > ESI Gigaport HD+ > Russound 850MC Amp > Paradigm in-Ceiling speakers.

Option 1. You don't say if you already own a NAS or if your looking to buy the NAS too. If your NAS supports Squeezecenter server then a Squeezebox Touch would be a good option. Connect via SPDIF to your Music Hall DAC.

Option 1a. Similar to 1, but use Sonos. This is limited to CD Quality files (16/44.1 & 48). The advantage of the Sonos is no special software is needed on the NAS.

Option 2. Get a MacMini. Connect it to your Music Hall DAC via USB (if the Music Hall DAC has a good USB implementation) or via a USB to SPDIF converter (eg. Halide Bridge or M2Tech HiFace). Connect it to your LCD pannel and/or control it with an iPod Touch or iPad. Run iTunes and/or Amarra / Pure Music / AyreWave / Audionirvanna.

Option 2a. Similar to option 2 but using a Windows 7 based mini PC (see Chris' C.A.P.S. article).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi Eloise, thanks for your feedback. I do not have a NAS at the moment, just something I was considering. The Mac mini seems expensive.

Can I control a Sonos via the TV? Would I need another remote as well?

If I went with the mac mini/windows mini pc option, are there remotes that can control these via the TV or would I have to use a mouse/keyboard?

HiFi: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > UltraRendu > Schitt Eitr > MusicHall 25.3 DAC > Rega Mira3 Amp > Rega RS5 Floorstanders.  

Whole-house Audio: Windows 7 Machine running roon core > NetGear switch > Windows 7 form-factor PC > ESI Gigaport HD+ > Russound 850MC Amp > Paradigm in-Ceiling speakers.

The Sonos relies on it's custom remote control. The alternative is to run software on an iPod Touch or iPad. There is no TV interface.

A computer can be controlled by a IR remote. The MacMini has a small remote which can control iTunes on a TV though most people use a iPod Touch for remote control. Depending on the software you use for playback, a Windows PC can be similarly controlled. None of the usual playback software really have a full TV interface (J.River is closet).

You may want to investigate XBMC on a silent PC as an option.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.