IGNORED

assigning a port as a serial port

sauniq

I am wondering if someone can help me with a problem. I am trying to update my Rotel RSP1570 Processor with the most current software and I can not figure out how to connect my computer so that it will connect with the Rotel unit. In the instructions it tells me to use the serial port or a USB to serial adapter.

The Rotel has a RJ45 port and so does my laptop. My laptop does not have a serial port. I have USB, HDMI, and the network RJ45.

I thought it would be simplely to connect the two but not so.

Can someone help me to figure out how to connect?? Thanks.

Simaudio P7 preamp, Simaudio W5.3 amp, Simaudio D300, Simaudio Supernova, Monarchy SM 70 Pro x 2, Emotiva UMC 1, Rotel RMB 1077, All Power and Interconnects Cardas Clear

Looking at the manual for your processor, it does not have a standard RS 232 serial port. It accepts serial commands through an RJ45 network port. That sounds like it means you would need a USB to serial adapter, and then a serial to RJ45 cable properly wired per the instructions on their site.

Unless there's a way to get your computer to treat its NIC interface as a serial port, which I have not heard of.

Might be easier to have your Rotel dealer do it for you.

To update the Firmware in a Rotel processor you'll need a USB to serial port adaptor and also the correct cable which IIRC is pretty unique to Rotel - I made one myself many years ago but don't recall the pin out. Although it is an RG45 port as used by standard networking you cannot use a computers network port.

Can I point you in the direction of the dedicated Rotel forum at http://htguide.com/forum where more peopleqho have experience with Rotel processors hang out. I'm sure someone there will have link to the cable you require.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...