IGNORED

New Bie - Wanna build a music server

A good starting point is Chris' C.A.P.S. article. Can be adapted to your needs: cheaper case; drop the Lynx card is using USB DAC; etc.

Chris says he's working on a C.A.P.S. v2.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Option 2 is to get a 2010 Mac Mini and go that route with player software such as Pure Music or Amarra.

Do you have a budget in mind and do you already have a DAC?

Rig 1: CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, VTF-15H, Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-5, Aries Deluxe via S/PDIF

Rig 2: Sennheiser HD650, Woo WA-2, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Sony HAP-Z1ES

I'm also a music server DIY noob, although I've done a ton of research (all theory no practice).

So, I'm going to defer to the experts.

I've ordered the OrigenAE M10 case, which should be arriving shortly. I'm absolutely intent on using this case, as its aesthetic appeal is very high-end.

I am, however, flexible on the MoBo and sound card (as flexible as my pocketbook allows). I'm not concerned about video content capabilities, just sound.

Right now I'm looking at an ASUS At3ION-I MoBo (I want to use the M10's display and external PSU, and I believe this MoBo fits the bill).

The problem arises once the sound card is thrown into the mix. Chris's essay on the CAPS has convinced me that a sound card is essential, so I won't be relying on the Mobo's S/Pdif.

So, Chris has now blessed two affordable ASUS sound cards (good job!). Imagine my excitement.

However, the AT3ION has a PCIe slot, so the ASUS STX card is a good choice.

The rear of M10 has a vertical slot for a PCI expansion. I don't suppose the Asus STX will fit. Okay, enough rambling...

Can I use the AT3ION with the STX sound card in the M10 case? If not, can you kind folks suggest an alternative? Again, I want to use the M10 to its full capacity (display, psu)

Thanks in advance!

“Everyone knows rock n’ roll attained perfection in 1974; It’s a scientific fact.”

-Homer Simpson

The problem with the Asus AT3ION is that reports have commented it has a very noisy fan. I think the new AT5ION is fanless so that maybe a better option.

The OriginAE M10 case can be fitted with a riser to place a PCI (or PCIe) card horizontally so the Asus Xonar cards should do easily. Alternatively a low form factor card such as the lower spec. Xonar cards fit vertically which may give better air flow with a fanless motherboard such as the AT5ION. Your other alternative would be to use the M2Tech HiFace, Halide Bridge, etc. or direct to a USB capable DAC.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The soundcard is probably only essential if you are going to use it as a DAC.

The Lynx AES16 (one of Chris's favs)outputs SPIDF and therefore still needs a DAC, don't get me wrong all Lynx kit is outstanding but this was in it's heyday before the arrival of the legion of USB/SPIDF converters we now have, these new devices probably offer a better return on investment (e.g. M2Tech Hiface)and can be upgraded over time.

If you are happy to use one of these to feed your DAC, your main concern with the music server is a decent PSU (again I would go external), RAM and a decent board and just maybe using an SSD (say 40-60gb) to run the OS and music app. YMMV

I would use an external storage device to store the music on, rather than place a drive in it

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Thanks for the advice, fellas. Just a few more questions:

1) Will the M10's own PSU function with either of the ASUS boards? I'm assuming that a MoBo with a 24pin power connector will be able to utilize the the M10's display and PSU.

2) I have a DacMagic. So if I just settle on the MoBo and the M2Tech HiFace I should good, right?

3) Where can I buy the HiFace in North America (preferably a Canadian retailer)?

4) Would this setup meet Chris's CAPS standards? :)

“Everyone knows rock n’ roll attained perfection in 1974; It’s a scientific fact.”

-Homer Simpson

I too have been looking at the Asus AT3ION. It appears to be fanless and the deluxe version of the MoBo comes with an external brick style power adapter similar to Chris's CAPS PSU. The AT5ION looks very tempting, but it doesn't appear to offer the same external psu option.

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iHWm73RqE6MCmCtw&templete=2

My only hesitation is I don't know whether the integrated NVIDIA processor will handle j river theater view, which is must have for me.

Hi All

First post here. I have the ASUS AT3ION-I Duluxe and it does have a passive cooler. I installed it into a custom box from HiFi 2000 http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat193_l2.php?n=1 They have some instructions with the same MB in a nice how to guide.

I have Windows 7 and J River running Theatre View just fine with 4Gb mem and a 500Gb local HD. This is silicone mounted and is extremely quiet. CPU temperature is stable at 60 deg and I am very happy with it.

HTH

Cheers Gareth

Hello,

I just re-read all 24 sections on the cMP^2 website. Lots of great advice there on how to build a quiet PC with excellent management of jitter. Although Windows XP seems to be required for some of the more advanced optimizations, there's now support for Windows 7 64-bit. It's worth checking out this resource to get a better understanding of the design issues around computer audio playback even if you decide not to actually use cMP/cPlay. You'll learn a few things even if you're not using a PC for computer audio.

Note that IE complains that the site has been reported as "unsafe". Probably true in the forums, but I have not noticed any problems on the documentation pages, so those should be safe.

-- David