IGNORED

HQplayer 4 and Mac-mini M1

Bushikai

2 hours ago, bobflood said:

Just use -6 as your maximum and work down from there with your amp volume control set at max. Still start at -20 and see how close you can get to -6. You might be surprised how much more your amp can do. We are all used to thinking that the higher volume control settings on an amp are off limits but with the much reduced input voltage due to HQP processing and the lower DSD output of the May this is not necessarily true.

I have checked with the amp designer, and as you say. it is ok to have the amp volume control at max.  My unease with this, comes from years of analogue hifi - where increasing the volume control gave increased the amp "noise". hum etc - so you never went much past 2 o'clock with the knob.  So, just because of convenience on my part, I will continue to use the amp volume control, and not worry if it reaches max!!!  I must remember that this is now a digital world!

But your suggestions were enlightening, to say the least.

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW to other Mini M1 owners - this experience might help.

Given that DSD to DSD conversion is most CPU intensive -

My Mini M1 16GB has no trouble converting DSD64 (or DSD128) to DSD512, even with Pipeline EQ.

But, for my Mini M1 8GB, the added load of the Pipeline EQ is the killer.

So, from my experience, opt for the 16GB version!

Enjoy your music via HQPlayer!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Yes, an M1 Mac mini can handle both Roon and HQPlayer Desktop. I use these settings with an ultraRendu NAA and my May KTE DAC:

I like these settings:

SDM Integrator: FIR2
SDM Conversion: XFi
48K DSD: Checked
DAC Bits: 20
Default Output Mode: SDM (DSD)
SDM Defaults:
1x = poly-sinc-gauss-xla
Nx = poly-sinc-gauss-hires-lp
Modulator: ASDM7ECv2
Bit rate: 48K x 256
Multicore DSP: Greyed
Adaptive output rate: Checked

I have same Mini, same NAA and same DAC. I also use same setttings except I use AMSDM7 512+fs and 48k x512

On 9/20/2022 at 7:42 AM, musicjunkie917 said:

I tried that but found that the ASDM7ECv2 modulator sounds better with DSD256 than the AMSDM7 512+fs modulator with DSD512.

But I have a DDC (i2s output), and most likely a different amp and I use estat headphones and a different set of ears and brain - so I prefer DSD512.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, bobflood said:

The ER is no longer in production, a new version maybe later this year.

I have located a local distributor who has a couple of these in stock.

Which brings me back to my original question - will it improve the SQ of my setup, and if so, where would be the best place to insert it?

On 10/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, bobflood said:

Put it in front of the HQP NAA.  Also, keep the cable between the ER and the NAA as short as possible and use a CAT 6 with no grounding (plastic ends). Blue Jeans Cables are reasonable and good quality. Also, power it with a Linear power supply if possible and use a good quality cable for that as well (Ghent makes reasonable quality DC cables). Lastly, don't put any other devices on the ER.

Thank you for the info - I am guessing that you have some experience with it.  A couple of questions -

1. The manual says that the supplied PS is all that you need.

2. Metal-ended Cat 6A cables are fine, so long as there is only one connected on the "B" side.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Given that I already have the Cat6A (metal end) cables installed, I wonder if it is possible to find an RJ45 Cat 6A coupler (which is insulated), then a short length of Cat 6A (metal end) cable.  Or else a coupler which is not insulated, and then use a short length of Blue Jeans (plastic end) Cat 6A cable.

Of course you are both correct, but, unfortunately, the cables (which do have the ground connected at both ends) are inside the walls plus both Ghents & Blue Jeans are very expensive here in Oz.  So I am looking for a cheap work-around.  Maybe wrap Polyimide Hi-Temp Tape around one metal end - I have done this on the USB cable into my SU-6.  A pity that the socket in the EtherRegen is not insulated, thus eliminating the need for plastic end cable.

• 2 weeks later...

All of my files are on an NAS. The volume of files is less than 4GB.

Lately my internet connection has been very, very flakey, so, at times (due to internet problems) my access to the files is problematic.

Is there a way that I can directly access these files (obviating the internet requirement) - maybe connect a suitable drive directly to my Mini?

I assume that my iPad will still require internet, to control HQPlayer.

TIA

4TB it is. If my internet connection is down, I cannot access my NAS.

My router works fine for all other internet access. And, (up until recently) my Mini successfully accessed files on my NAS.

Like most of us, I have a lot of boxes and interconnects in my playback chain.

So, I want a fall-back solution (at least to eliminate my flakey internet), so that my Mini can still access my files (on another drive?).

Here in Oz, we have very poor internet speeds - typical for me is 30Mbps download, 5Mbps upload.

12 hours ago, musicjunkie917 said:

Of course you have a Roon server. Your Roon Core is the Roon server. Is that the Mac mini? If yes, where is the Mac mini in relation to the NAS? Are they on the same network?

Yes, of course you can move the files from the NAS to a drive connected directly to the Mac mini. That is the best way to do it.

Now you've got me - I did not know that I have a Roon server - how can I find it?  I just assumed that, as I only use HQPlayer Desktop to access my files on my NAS, I did not have a Roon server!

On 10/27/2022 at 9:23 AM, Miska said:

You can certainly have a local copy of library on local storage and scan that to the library. You can backup the other library instance and make another clean one, and then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries.

You can also scan both into the same library, but it will be confusing to browse and not fault-tolerant in the way you'd like.

I used to have a local library on my iMac using a Thunderbolt connected external HDD. And that was perfectly fine and very fast. Native macOS format.

But now I have library mostly on my "NAS" which is actually a Xeon based server PC running Ubuntu and Samba to do SMB share. This is not dependent on internet connection.

Yes this works, but, when I switch from local USB to NAS, I have to rescan (which takes a long time).

Please elaborate "then use the backup/restore functionality to switch between the two libraries".

TIA