IGNORED

audiolab 8200 dac and laptop question

hi,

I have been reading lots of good info on this site over the last week and will be taking small steps towards computer audio over the next few months. I have now purchased a portable external hard drive to link with my laptop when I get that. And already have a suitable DAC. My question is do laptops generally come with a toslink/coaxle audio out? Would this be my best bet for connecting to the DAC? The Audiolab seems to support 24/172 via toslink/coaxle but only 24/96 via USB? I am just trying to understand if I need to look specifically for laptops with suitable soundcards of whether this comes as standard.

thanks Jamie

The general advice would be unless you *need* 24/192 and 24/176.4; the USB connection (which in the case of the Audiolab 8200 is what is known as Asyncronous USB) will be superior to most SPDIF connections.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 7 months later...