IGNORED

Interesting crackles on famous recording.

I have to say that the high res version DOES sound to me exactly like a very high quality vinyl rip, with a touch of tape hiss on top.  Most curious. 

Both versions sound OK though, perfectly listenable in absolute terms.  Plus, the "vinyl rip" effect is, or whatever it actually may be, seems for more obvious to me listening on headphones.  That said, I typically find vinyl rips sound a little annoying on headphones, but not so much on speaker based systems, which again makes me wonder if it is in fact a vinyl rip.  

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

35 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

Since the high res version wasn't decoded -- maybe the damaged stereo image because of the compression might be where the headphones don't sound right?  I know for a fact that the decoding on the 'decoded' example was in error -- I leave a lot of experiments setting around, just to compare for improvements/keeping some kind of reference -- and the purpose of the demo was NOT to talk about decoding per-se, but about the 'ticks and pops'.   The ticks really seemed strange to me -- esp when some cuts had LF rumble (could be room effects) and some recordings with the most egregious ticks 'n' pops had ZERO rumble that plausibly looked like turntable effects...

I use headphones 90% of the time because of the extreme precision of my project -- and stereo image damage is very obvious.  Of course, admittedly, stereo image isn't as correct in some ways, but damage to a normally expected stereo image is more intimate and therefore a little easier to detect.  This was one of my secondary motivations for my project -- getting a more natural stereo image rather than the comopressed and manipulated image with holes in it.

John

I didn't mention anything about the stereo image, to me it is quite simple, some of the noise in the high res version does sound like a vinyl rip.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.