IGNORED

Article: Review | Running a Large Roon Library on a QNAP TVS-872XT

Just in case this is useful for others with larger libraries...I've been using Roon for 4+ years now (my Roon DB was 60GB at last look and I've got over 240k tracks). Every few months it would crash the database and I'd have to restore some backup or other...a pain. I finally got around to raising a question on the board and a recommendation to run Roon Server on Windows came back. Since then I havent' looked back. The problem apparently revolves around Mono libraries that take care of .net duties on linux. Their just not as 'good' as the original libraries in Windows.

On 6/17/2020 at 12:12 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Crom, yeah Roon’s db works best on Windows but I always have an issue when storing my music on a NAS. Because of the limitations of CIFS / network shares, Roon can’t update the database when new music is added without a scan. 

I could schedule a scan but that doesn’t help when I download album and want it right now. 

I will be trying Roon core on Windows again soon. 

Hmmm, I can't say I've ever experienced that. In fact, I've just checked and I copied a couple of albums into a monitored folder before I put the kids to bed about 50-60 mins ago and they've appeared in Roon. Not sure how long but no longer than 1 hour...so potentially not immediately! I can't honestly remember what I used to create the network shares. I used NFS with linux but can't remember whether I got that to work on Windows...when I get a chance to check I'll let you know.