IGNORED

Spring Cleaning + DALI Oberon 7 + Acourate

I think it's cool being able to "independently" verify the Acourate results using REW as well. Most DRC systems present a predicted response plot (eg., Dirac), but I'd be surprised if the actual measured response after correction (both amplitude and time) matches as closely as Acourate. I assume Audiolense corrections spot-on as well.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I must say, I've never seen convolution used at the same time as Headroom Management :~)

Hi Chris,

Good eye!  In this case, I have headroom management enabled only so that I can watch out for clipping. I've built FIR filter sets in the past that, under certain circumstances, could result in clipping after convolution. I've not had that problem for a while, but it's something that I continue to keep an eye on as a matter of course.  :)

image.thumb.png.2daf5bb359b92d378c2dd6cf1541dcdf.png

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Hello David.

Thanks for doing this. I also use Roon, Acourate and REW, although in an active speaker setup. Would you mind explaining how you did step #16 to measure with REW a logsweep you played through Roon? Did you incorporated a timing reference? How was AcourateConvolver included in the mix? I don't have that convolver though. Can it be done without it?

Thank you!

Horacio

Sure. You don't actually need AcourateConvolver, although that makes things a bit easier. To do this without AcourateConvolver, you'll use REW's generator to create two WAV files with the sweep that you want to measure. Create one for each channel and be sure that the timing reference is enabled and matches the channel of the sweep. Make note of sampling rate, length, and beginning and ending frequencies. You'll need all of this when you go to measure.

Import the WAV sweep files into Roon. For mine, I converted it to FLAC and added metadata via ID3 tags so that I'd have an easier time finding it in my Roon Library. Start a new measurement in REW. Be sure that all of the parameters match the settings you used to generate the sweep file. Of course, enable an acoustic timing reference. Click start on the sweep and then, in another window or on your phone, play the pre-recorded sweep file.

REW will wait until it "hears" the timing reference to begin recording. If you have a room correction filter, make sure it's loaded in Roon's Convolution DSP before you record. This is a great way to test before/after in a true end-to-end test. Let me know if you have more questions.