IGNORED

'FeralA' decoder -- free-to-use

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give some immediate feedback, John ... again, the Super Trouper snippet. The voices intro lacks sparkle and air; and the following instrumental run sounds, 'artificial' - the following seems OK ... this was comparing it to the RAW sample, which I downloaded some time ago.

If you want me to elaborate more, let me know ...

6 hours ago, Confused said:

I presume you are still checking the snippets via your laptop speakers? Or have you found a way now to feed your PC sound to the Edifiers?

Yes. Those speakers are essentially ordinary quality headphone drivers, which just happen to be sitting in a laptop casing. Which means they have no bass below about 200Hz - something which one has to take into account. But certainly good enough to highlight differences, and which make flaws of audio systems in YouTube captures easy to pick :D.

Perversely, an ordinary quality playback of a track makes it easier to pick possible issues ... why? Because, a much higher standard of SQ allows the brain to bypass technical problems, and relate directly to the music making. Which is not what you want, in this situation ...

A similar thing to how in recording studios they often have a pair of very ordinary speakers, to make sure a mix is going to sound balanced when heard over everyday sound replay devices.

Quick response, John ... Super Trouper now is fine, I don't have anything to complain about. Then after another, also tried one I hadn't looked at before, Warwick, I'll Never Fall in Love Again - again, no issues.

The middle one was Dreamer - which sounds so different from the RAW I have; the DEC has a lot more impact, in a positive sense. The one area I would mention here is in the vocal - when he goes low, there's a suspicion that a bit more spittle is involved than one would want - may not bother some, but something to perhaps consider ...

Hope this helps ...

Interesting, John ...

Went to Dreamer, that spittle thing seems probably as good as it can get; listened to the RAW, and there's very little in it.

Now, with Dreamer the --hfrl came across better than the other, seemed to have more life to it; but the other was closer to the RAW - so, not clear as to the "winner" here.

Then tried something new - which turned out to be a good choice - Newton-John, Take Me Home ... here, the --hfrl definitely didn't ring right: the chorus start was too aggressive, and then the drummer's tapping on a high hat(?) sounded like a nervous tick action, didn't blend - the other version balanced nicely, in comparison.

If you want more feedback, on another track, give us a yell ...

• 1 month later...

John, don't know if this will be impacted by the latest update, but I noted that the Dionne Warwick, I'll Never Fall in Love Again track sounds odd; this is a late night listen, so I wouldn't put the greatest weight to it - but the feel of the track just doesn't jell ...

• 1 year later...