IGNORED

i would desire to add a dac to the C.A.S.H. list.

I would desire to suggest the Mytek 8x192 for the C.A.S.H. list because i have replaced my Berkeley with this dac and the performance of my system became right as i was looking for from long time. I have a computer and Lynx AES16 as front end and Bryston 4BSST2 as amplifier and use the Mytek with the volume regulation of the Foobar2000. The output and input interconnects are supplied with the dac and outclass my Mogami XLR without doubts. Finally i manage to hear the high frequencies and the air in the stage. I am astonished from the difference with my previous dacs, Benchmark and Berkeley under all aspects. I have paid the Mytek less than the Berkeley.

Sorry i had to say this to all audiophiles that look for a satisfying sound from the digital. I have looked for it from many years and much wasted money and time.

On this site i have had many advices but they are not been useful to modify the perfomance of the Berkely. It was still obscure, plenty of annoying bass and poor in dinamycs.

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

Could you comment on these characteristics: Sound stage (3-d? forward, back deep shallow, etc.); texture thick or thin; digital sharpness or analog-like smoothness; blackness of silences; overall ease; warmth, accuracy in frequency response, dynamics, clarity of leading and training edge of piano notes; can you hear clearly the natural decay of piano notes? Does a sharp forte strike of a piano key feel real?

I did not find any detailed audiophile type descriptions that would be helpful in determining if the Mytek would be better than what I have. If you have some links, please share. When you say: " I am astonished from the difference with my previous dacs, Benchmark and Berkeley under all aspects. I have paid the Mytek less than the Berkeley." it naturally makes the reader curious as to why you feel that way. Just how is it better than the Benchmark or Berkely? Without a good review I look to you. If English is not your native tongue, I apologize for pressing you for a better description. If any one can provide a link to a good review, I would appreciate it.

Dear dbb,

sorry for the delay but i was (and continue to be it) very busy in these days. Your manner to "see" the sound of a system is not so congenial to me and english is not my mother language. Anyhow i will try to satisfy your requests.

Depht: it always is there even on bad recordings. It immediately express itself through "resonances in air" that render voices and instruments real and natural in special manner. I point out this side because the Benchmark has always been deficient in the instruments reproduction. The voices sounded well but the instruments around seemed to sound as cutted out picture cards. I must add that the components of the stage are reproduced bigger (dimensionally) than with other mentioned dacs firmly.

Sound: The first thing that appears is the presence of high frequencies. I must say that always i have heard the lack of them with my previous dacs. A lack of openness toward the "air" and the height of the stage. Instead now all is at its right place. Now the entire message is rightly balanced. The consequence is the fidelity of the timbre of the guitar, for example, with many harmonics that i have never heard. On some recordings i manage to hear the sounding-box of the piano that first i didn't hear. It doesn't lack the bass because it is deep, clear and delineated. In the worst case it is clear and not bloated.

The second thing that strikes is the transparency that permits to see until the end of the stage. The silence is very good even if not "ten times black".

Speaking generally the sound that come out is fast,solid, robust, bordered and precise. There is just one negative aspect. For me uninmportant one because very very slight one. A little dryness in the colors of the music. But perhaps i can name it correctness.

Dynamics: Finally i can feel a piece of music with its right time. Benchmark was able to do it too but it had so many other weaknesses that here it is not comparable. Berkeley, sorry, was so slow and dark that i would forget my experience with it. Certainly the Mytek doesn't arrive to a Naim timing level but who does it ? Even if sometime Naim give a false dynamics impression. I owned Naim CDX2 and XPS but i have never managed to make it sounding as with components of the same brand. It is not a mechanical type of dynamics i feel it as natural and live one.

I hope this useful to you.

intel DG31PR - Windows 7 - Straightwire USB - Berkeley USB interface - Straightwire digital - Mytek 8x192 dac - ASI liveline interconnect - Bryston 4BSST2 - ASI liveline speaker cable - USHER Be 718 - Foobar 2000 WASAPI player

Sounds interesting, especially since it's an analog-to-digital converter as well as digital-to-analog. That would be useful to those of us who want to try making digital copies of LPs.

What input connectors do you use? It appears the unit uses non-standard 8-channel input connectors, at least non-standard in the audiophile world. That would necessitate custom-built cables.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Vade Forrester

_________________[br]Vade Forrester

Dear Vade,

the unit has arrived with three kinds of cables. They are named D25 cables for, i think, the type of connector on the back panel. The cables are analog in, analog out and digital AES-EBU in and out. All have XLR connectors that is the standard in the professional. If i am not wrong it is available another D25 cables with BNC connectors. I can say that these cables clearly are better than my Mogami XLR. I think not useful to build another cables. They will not be the best but surely are more than enough.