IGNORED

Potentially faulty Volt+D

DrewV

I just purchased the Volt+D amplifier and connected it into my system, replacing a cheap Tripath-style amp from Amazon.  However, the volume output of this amplifier seems awfully low.  Even when I have it turned up to full volume, with full gain on the pre-amp, I am only able to get a "medium-level" listening volume out of it, at the most.  When I switch back to the other class D amp of lower wattage (50W cheap amplifier from Amazon), I have to turn the volume down significantly because the music is actually too loud.  And this is with using the same power supply (24V, 5A laptop supply).  The speakers that I am using are Energy RC-10 with a sensitivity of 91dB, which are easily capable of very high volumes with 60W of power.   As I said, with my other amp of similar technology, the volume is so loud I need to turn the speakers down.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with this unit.  The music seems pretty clear and balanced, but the output is just so weak that I could easily carry on a normal conversation with the volume (stepped attenuator) turned all the way up.  I tried changing the gain switches from 20 dB to 26 dB on the bottom of the unit, and it helped a little bit, but the total output is still too low for normal listening volumes.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further test out the unit.  Otherwise, it seems like I have a faulty unit here.

On 2/1/2020 at 6:49 PM, DrewV said:

I just purchased the Volt+D amplifier and connected it into my system, replacing a cheap Tripath-style amp from Amazon.  However, the volume output of this amplifier seems awfully low.  Even when I have it turned up to full volume, with full gain on the pre-amp, I am only able to get a "medium-level" listening volume out of it, at the most.  When I switch back to the other class D amp of lower wattage (50W cheap amplifier from Amazon), I have to turn the volume down significantly because the music is actually too loud.  And this is with using the same power supply (24V, 5A laptop supply).  The speakers that I am using are Energy RC-10 with a sensitivity of 91dB, which are easily capable of very high volumes with 60W of power.   As I said, with my other amp of similar technology, the volume is so loud I need to turn the speakers down.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with this unit.  The music seems pretty clear and balanced, but the output is just so weak that I could easily carry on a normal conversation with the volume (stepped attenuator) turned all the way up.  I tried changing the gain switches from 20 dB to 26 dB on the bottom of the unit, and it helped a little bit, but the total output is still too low for normal listening volumes.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further test out the unit.  Otherwise, it seems like I have a faulty unit here.

Forwarded PM please check