IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

I tried an upgrade from i7-6700 to i7-9700. This is no appreciable upgrade. I was able to go from 5EC to 7EC modulator but still only DSD256 and it consumed nearly double the power. The i7-9700 is going back. If there is any audible difference I was unable to discern one.

Has Intel really made enough gains to beat the 6700 with 10th or 11th gen procs without requiring 2x-4x the power to do it? How about AMD?

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the May KTE/L3 since March, 2800 hours. Today I flipped the fuse and after 15 mins. flipped it back. They got it right from shop. It was clearly different, less coherent. Flipped back and normalcy resumed. FWIW, the gold end down is my preferred and the way it came.

• 11 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 11:38 AM, musicman1 said:

Is the Holo Audio May sensitive to different USB cables when connected to a computer?  I have the KTE version, so I have the better enhanced module. I know this is supposed to be an excellent USB implementation and I was wondering if it's worth it to spend extra money on a good quality USB cable? On a very resolving system would a $100 cable be adequate or would gains be possible on say a good quality $700-$800 cable. I know this is VERY subjective and system dependent, but I was hoping to hear opinions from others who actually own the May DAC and stream from their computers and who have actually made the comparisons between different USB cables. 

FWIW, here's my limited USB cable experience. I've had the May for 15 months. I tried my best with a few USB cables and was unable to hear any difference however I use a very low power computer running Jussi's NAA image fed by optical Ethernet and then USB to feed the May. I had the top of the line Intona cable and listened to it for a couple months, then swapped to the stock included USB cable that came with the May. I sold the Intona and haven't fussed with changing much of anything for over a year now. 

I'm just super happy with system and spend way too much time listening and enjoying the music!