IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

19 hours ago, damascato said:

And no sound quality issues? The USB signal from the RPi is famous for not being great. But at the same time the Holo’s USB should be.

you're thinking about the rpi3 which had a shared bus (usb and ethernet).  the rpi4 fixed this issues and is considered a very good device.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, Roasty said:

hey guys

is it not advisable to use both xlr and rca output from the May at the same time? i have the KTE May, XLR out to a Wells Audio Milo Reference headamp (and sometimes swapped for an integrated amp) and RCA out to a Singxer SA-1 headamp. 

when both the xlr and rca outputs are connected, i get this faint distortion/static/buzz audible with vocals of higher pitch and volume, eg female vocals at the peak of a crescendo. if i disconnect the rca cables from the Singxer headamp, the distortion/static/buzz goes away.

i have tried changing out cables, swapping out power cords, moving the power cord from the same block (an AQ Niagara 1200) to separate blocks and also directly to the wall outlet. but seemingly the only solution is to not use both rca/xlr together. the same issue also occurs if i swap connections ie RCA to integrated/Milo headamp and XLR to Singxer headamp, and resolved by removing the XLR connection.

looks like by connecting the two, you're creating a ground loop -- when you disconnect, you're breaking the loop.  would be interesting to connect another amp of some sort and see what happens.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100