IGNORED

Marantz SA8004 - Direct Experience (especially in DAC mode) / Feedback Desired

Looks like the Marantz SA8004 is one of the most versatile digital boxes available today:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3223.asp

It appears to be 4 devices in one:

1. CD Player

2. SACD Player

3. iPod/iPhone Digital Dock (like Wadia 170i)

4. DAC

Quite alot of functionality for the MSRP of 995 USD

I would be very interested in feedback from other forum members who have had direct experience with this product. I am most interested in the performance as a standalone DAC.

I currently have a DacMagic and am looking for possible upgrade paths to bring up the performance of my digital front-end (Roku M1000 fed Apple lossless files) a notch or two.

Related equipment is a Pioneer SX-A6-J Elite 2 Ch Receiver and speakers are KEF xQ10 standmounts.

The iPhone digital dock is attractive since I signed up for the MOG streaming service. I had Rhapsody but so far the MOG experience is better. Plus MOG allows the ability to download high quality (320k MP3) content direct to the iPhone for off-line playback. The idea of being able to have the SA8004 DAC decode these 320k files is VERY appealing as it would further leverage the use of the MOG service.

Last, but not least, I have never had a SACD player but I must admit to ability to play (choice) titles in this format for critical listening seems like a bonus.

Any feedback on this product is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Roku Soundbridge M1000 - Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - Musical Fidelity A1 Integrated - KEF xQ10[br]PS Audio Duet - PS Audio AC-3 - PS Audio AC-5[br]Apogee Wyde Eye S/PDIF - Audio Art SC-5[br]God Save The Kinks

• 3 weeks later...