IGNORED

USB Signature - pops and crackles in audio

bipet

My USBridge Signature arrived yesterday along with a shanti PSU, I connect to it via USB to a Mytek Liberty DAC, the music is provided over Ethernet from my Roon Core on a Intel NUC, the music is stored on a Synology NAS.

On setting up the USBridge and using it I am hearing some light pops and crackles over music (I also use HQ Player upscaling to DSD 256, as I did with the vanilla USBridge, this runs on my desktop PC with an I7 9700 cpu). I had dietpi pre-installed and it was up to date when I received the unit. As an alternative to Dietpi, I tried to use Signalyst Network Attached Adapter (naa-360-raspberrypi3.7z) but I could not get the USB Bridge to recognise the file once I had flashed the SD card. So, I tried to go back to Dietpi, which I downloaded from the allo website directly, I put the image onto the card and there were updates needed. I SSH'd in to the USBridge and ran the update, but when I came to use the device i had very broken audio, not just pops and crackles but big gaps in the audio. So, I looked a bit more on the allo download page and found this which says "based on feedbacks USB dacs observed dropouts issue in 4.19.y kernel. Dietpi OS image based on kernel 4.14.92 is available in this location for testing". So downloaded this version of Dietpi and it is much better although I do still hear some pops and crackles although much less.

Can you please advice how I might cure the pops and crackles in my system?

Thank you

On 11/16/2019 at 10:07 PM, rossco said:

My USBridge Signature arrived yesterday along with a shanti PSU, I connect to it via USB to a Mytek Liberty DAC, the music is provided over Ethernet from my Roon Core on a Intel NUC, the music is stored on a Synology NAS.

On setting up the USBridge and using it I am hearing some light pops and crackles over music (I also use HQ Player upscaling to DSD 256, as I did with the vanilla USBridge, this runs on my desktop PC with an I7 9700 cpu). I had dietpi pre-installed and it was up to date when I received the unit. As an alternative to Dietpi, I tried to use Signalyst Network Attached Adapter (naa-360-raspberrypi3.7z) but I could not get the USB Bridge to recognise the file once I had flashed the SD card. So, I tried to go back to Dietpi, which I downloaded from the allo website directly, I put the image onto the card and there were updates needed. I SSH'd in to the USBridge and ran the update, but when I came to use the device i had very broken audio, not just pops and crackles but big gaps in the audio. So, I looked a bit more on the allo download page and found this which says "based on feedbacks USB dacs observed dropouts issue in 4.19.y kernel. Dietpi OS image based on kernel 4.14.92 is available in this location for testing". So downloaded this version of Dietpi and it is much better although I do still hear some pops and crackles although much less.

Can you please advice how I might cure the pops and crackles in my system?

Thank you

Forwarded PM please check