IGNORED

EtherREGEN: Installation, Usage, Difficulty, Questions thread

7 hours ago, octaviars said:

I dont think anyone wrote that this is necessary.

I can only talk for my own system and with the eR in my cabinet the temp went up and runing the eR around 49C 24/7 over many years I feel more comfortable runing it around 40C.

_20191223_094424.thumb.JPG.91ecc9ef60f72c526b2afcc1a2badc8c.JPG

There is 120mm fan under the PSU that moves air in to the cabinet and out through a vent in the door.

_20191223_094344.thumb.JPG.92c0470291f4afc2d3bc5ec86e4d607b.JPG

Could you tell me the dimensions of the thermal tape you used? It looks a very neat job there by the way!

I couldn’t find the tape on the Reichelt website. Cheers.

16 minutes ago, octaviars said:

This is the tape WL FOLIE 404 12 it is one larger piece and I cut two smaller pieces that fit the heatsinks. 

Thanks, that’s really helpful. I was struggling to find an option that doesn’t rely on clamping force. I may also do this with my OpticalRendu - another item that gets a little warmer than I’d like!

12 minutes ago, bailyhill said:

I am 1 month in on my ER.  Its sounding great driving my Merridian Ultra Dac.    My system is Router in the LR, a floor below the Music Room.  I run a 15 foot copper ethernet cable upstairs.  It feeds my Cisco Catalyst 2960G switch, which also has the Nucleus+ and Unity Core connected via copper ethernet cables.  Then a single copper ethernet cable connects the Cisco to the A side of the ER.  Then a single copper ethernet cable connects the B side of the ER to the DAC.  Sounds very nice.  

In learning a little more, I have a question.  If we are trying to eliminate noise, it seems like I should put an Optical Rendu at the Router.  Then run 15 feet of Optical Cable upstairs to the Cisco which has an optical SPF I believe its called.  This would minimize any transmitted as well as conducted noise on the Ethernet signal. 

As an alternate, I could also deploy a second ER replacing the Cisco--running it backwards to input the optical from the OR to the B side of the ER and then taking the A side output of this ER and running it to the A side of the existing ER, and then connecting the B side of the ER to the DAC.  

It might seem over the top, but at the level of a Meridian Ultra Dac or a Naim ND555, we don't want anything contaminating those units.  Same can be said for Brinkman, DcS, MSB etc.  Comments and Suggestions?

Hi,

Maybe I’ve misunderstood, but do you mean ‘OpticalModule’ rather than ‘OpticalRendu’?

Alex has said to me (email) that it’s better to keep things simple and run good quality CAT6 or 6A to the ER from your router - rather than over-complicate things. Having said that, I run an optical feed from my router as it’s small diameter and can be easily hidden under carpet, and I doubt it’d do any harm if you were to run an optical feed from the lower room to the upstairs listening room. If so, I suspect a standard low-cost FMC would be enough (downstairs), but you could try an OpticalModule for ‘peace of mind’, then go straight into the A side SFP of the ER alongside the Nucleus+ and Naim Uniti Core. The B side of the ER then remains as is. In this case, you would need to earth the 12V supply to the ER back to mains earth - using the ground screw, as you would be using multiple A side sockets.

If you want to keep the Cisco ‘in circuit’, connect the router optical feed as input to an SFP port - rather than deploy another OpticalModule to revert back to wired ethernet first. I suggest that as the Cisco is the weakest link in the chain anyway and might undo any ‘good work’ (noise reduction) gained from the OM upstream converting back to wired ethernet.

Yeah, I think your diagram works if you merely transpose the A and B side labelling on the first ER. If I’ve understood correctly (admittedly, it’s a big ‘if’) from previous discussion, you won’t need to ground-shunt the d.c. supplies used to power either ER as you are only using one A-side port on the second ER. Personally speaking, I’d probably use just the one ER and ground the casing to mains earth, as I’ve read that the isolation between A-side ports is very good, and the Moat will ensure the B-side output is very ‘clean’.