IGNORED

SOtM sMS-200 Neo Upgrade - DIY Capacitor Details

Good work, electrafixion!

Learning from your mod, I did also on mine. Since I have caps around, I was able to fit a Kaisei 4700uf. The size is 25mm diameter x 35mm length. Link to the cap here:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ANKECAP-83880.html

There is still about 3mm extra room at the diameter and about 7mm at the length so the fit is just right. I thought the capacitance is too big which is twice that of the Elna Tonerex that it replaced. I was concerned it will blow up because of the longer current load but after a couple of "burn-in" on and off cycles, everything is fine.

I was ready to add a coupling cap just in case I lose my highs. Audio Note also does not advertise the ESR of Kaisei but, to my surprise, transparency is even enhanced. Highs are preserved and even provided more clarity and details. Mid is magical and sweet. Mid bass is now more pronounced. Bass is driven with ease and the unit is not even fully burned-in yet. Wonderful mod. Thanks, electrafixion!

image.thumb.png.def4f44e070c1aeb3c0af4279f18d85a.png

image.thumb.png.a0e936ce87aa03ff95b4f9de5e7f4c64.png

image.thumb.png.68bed9876861caa7a568bf6474cd8faa.png

image.thumb.png.b772f5fcc676a13543f162cc2d5f215e.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is off-topic but related.  To those interested in upgrading the tX-USBultra, the positive leg of the Evox cap is connected to the positive leg of the orange ceramic cap close to the edge sCLK-EX board (encircled) and the negative (ground) leg of the Evox cap connected to any ground point in the board.  This is not replacing but adding the Evox cap or equivalent cap.

image.thumb.png.d837d103e03c9cf022d586598dad3b4b.png

I have not done this mod yet.  I'm still searching for a suitable cap to add it in.  I hope this helps someone whos is interested in modding their tX-USBultra.  If there is any owner here with with the Evox cap nice enough to provide a photo, that will be awesome.