IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

@Koso did you happen to test Phoenix USB with Gaia afterwards? I have Phoenix USB and afterwards a small but stylish USB->TosLink converter, so i am thinking about putting Gaia there instead to do the job.

Also are you keeping/recommending the SR Purple fuse in Phoenix?

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

45 minutes ago, Koso said:

Depends on your DAC and quality of inputs. Which input is best in my DAC? Thats the question you should ask yourself first. In my case DAC Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE has excellent USB input. PhoenixUSB was able to uplift already good USB input (or streamer output for that case, depends on how you look at usb reclocker) into even higher sonic quality. I have tested several additional DDC to add between PhoenixUSB and Spring DAC using I2S or AES/EBU input. I have tested Matrix Audio Spdif 2, Matrix Audio Spdif 3, Holo Audio Red and Denafrips Gaia. All those DDC units are great in its price point, Gaia being the best overall. But IN MY SETUP none of these are better sounding than Innuos PhoenixUSB + Spring 3 usb input. I have also tested all DDCs without PhoenixUSB. Adding Phoenix USB was always little bit better sounding, but anyway, in all cases the basic sound signature was more or less overwritten by character of tested DDC. So in my case I am not using DDC in main setup right now. In setup where DAC has best input other than USB (which is probably the case with most DACs) the situation could be different and I would strongly advice to test DDC, or USB reclocker + DDC, especially when I2S dac input is the option.

To your second question. SR Purple fuse in PhoenixUSB is keeper! Coincidentally it looks like Purple fuse has biggest impact (meaning audible sound quality improvement) on PhoenixUSB out of all my gear. And I have Purple fuses in all devices right now. In Aurender streamer, Spring DAC and Moon amp. SR fuses has different magnitude of SQ impact in different gear, even if all audible and all for good. Replacing fuse inside PhoenixUSB with Purple (3,15 Amp.) had immediate and very audible positive effect, which has improved after burn in period even further. By the way, I have just added PhoenixNET to my setup and I am definitely purchasing Purple fuse for it. So yes, highly recommended!

Thnx! 
My NOS Dac has only mini-TOSLink input so i have to use a device between InnuosUSB and DAC. Maybe i should switch to Spring 3, a beautiful DAC which i also considered, and have 1 box less in-between. But for now i like what i hear. So in case you want to sell your Gaia in the future, i might be interested.

As for the SR Purple fuse, i have a SR Orange in Farad3 LPSU. About SR Purple i am still not sure, because introducing PhoenixUSB into my system made the sound bit more sonore, with lotsa textures - it's what people usually say they get with SR Purple. So i think i don't need it.

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 11:01 AM, jeti said:

Any recommendations for power cords for Phoenix?

Depends on your setup.
My Phoenix is happy with WW Silver Electra 5.2 and standing on 3 Finite Elemente Ceraballs between its HiEnd legs.
I have lotsa Cardas cabling, Power, RCA, Ethernet so i need to brighten up the certain sonority that was introduced with Phoenix. I noticed it also sounds different depending on what it is. If it s a glass plate, i wouldn't place it on Ceraballs additionally. At my place it is on the top of a acacia dresser so i needed the Ceraballs.